Why did emails disappear from my iPad 2?

Lucy Schnabel November 15, 2014

While going through my email on my iPad 2 using the web interface all the emails in one of my accounts suddenly disappeared.

I rebooted my iPad 2, went into my settings and reinput my password but am still not receiving emails into my main account. I can access my mail via the Yahoo app but not the web interface.

This is the second time in as many days that this has happened. After rebooting and reentering my password the first time, my main account emails reappeared. My actions may have only been a coincidence since repeating the process has not corrected the problem this time.

I agree with Jan that the most productive thing you can do is clear the cookies on your browser. Yahoo's web interface often plays up, in my experience, but other than clearing the cookies there's really nothing you can do, and the problem is unlikely to be with your iPad.

Jan F is right, try from another browser on ipad and if you can read your emails then as Jan suggest Settings > Safari and Clear Cookies and data.

3. Jan F.

Since the emails are still there, on the server as well as the Yahoo app I would say this is an issue with the web interface itself and therefor nothing you can do about it.

Webmail clients usually function in one of two ways
    (1) they always r-read the contents directly from the mailserver in which case you may simply experience a timeout e.g for reloading things too fast or having too many emails in the mailbox
    (2) they use a cache or database which is refreshing at the time you experience the issue or is taking a long time to be refreshed, again, duo to having a lot of emails.

I am not entirely sure why you have to reboot your iPad here. Usually reloading the web interface after a minute or so should do this. Worst case go into the Settings > Safari and Clear Cookies and data.