Why can I not eMail photos?

Roy Conn February 15, 2010

Failed 1’st time – try again. I received 178 wedding photos all at once from Brazil. I could work with the photos – no trouble.

I try to send two photos from my digital camera and it has trouble because the load is too big. What do I have to do to make easier the sending of photos? I have Picasa 3 and work with Windows XP.

1. ├Žnon1mus

It would definitely be much easier to upload the photos to a file sharing service like http://dropbox.com and email the public link. Your email provider CANNOT handle an attachment of that size. Even if they were 1MB per file, that's a 178MB attachment you're sending.

• roy conn

I like your user name. I too thank you for your helpful suggestion. This whole experience of receiveing help in this way has been wonderful. Such a necessary service for a person such as myself with little computer experience. Thank you Makeuseof.

I have found Pando to be very helpful in emailing large files. I regularly send videos with no trouble whatsoever. It is also a free application, available in both Mac and Windows format.
    http://www.pando.com/

Dear Roy,
    In case u have large number of photos of any occasion, it is better to upload them to picasa and then send the link/ invite all your friends. This way they can download only those photos they are interested in, saving time and bandwidth for all

4. Taty

Hi Roy
    As mentioned by camelot2302, you mighty be sending images that are too large. If you have Picasa you can resize them following the tutorial below:
    http://www.latech.edu/tech/rural/website%20project/web_tutorial/articles/resize_pictures_picasa.html
    Another option is to use a service such as:
    http://www.filemail.com or http://www.yousendit.com
    They will allow you to send very large files by having you upload the file and have the recipient get a link to download them. And they are free :)

• roy conn

Hi Taty: Thank you for your helpful comments. I was told I should resize the photos but not how to do it. You came to the rescue. Much appreciated. Roy

• Taty

Glad to be of help :)

5. Mark O'Neill

You are probably trying to send files that are far too large for your email service to handle. Email services have strict limits on the file sizes you can send.

Either decrease the size of the photos or try zipping the files. You can zip them with a program such as 7Zip.

• roy conn

Hi camelot2302: Thank you for your time to help me with these photos. Next time I have to send some I will definitely try the zip process. Appreciated. roy

• A guest

Camelot2302,

Your advice will not help cause the photo files are usually in JPG format that is hardly being compressed.

Something like this does help: use something else than quota-restricted mail accounts of a providere, for example, free Gmail or Yahoo accounts (here there are restrictons too: the total attachment size is mainly limited to 20 MB).

The best way is to send a link to photos instead of photos themself. These are links on (photo) file hosting sites, like 4shared, Photobucket etc.

Hi Ron

Before I can tell you anything, could you tell me the size of each individual photo you're trying to send. Also what email program/service are you using?

• Roy Conn

Answer to your questions
      1. Kodak Z885 camera set on 5 MP; picture directly into the computer. Picture sent as is from My Documents via Outlook Express. Hope this helps.

Can you tell me the size of each individual picture? Also what error
        messages are you seeing?

Aibek

• roy conn

Hi Aibek: Thank you for your help and concern. Two the posts were very helpful but thank you for starting the ball rolling. I have one further question - I received a photo with this caption "This is a low resolution photo. For better printing results the resolution can be enhanced." comment from HP Photosmart. Does anybody have any information on this. It seems to anwer my problems of photos being too big? Roy

This message basically says that at the moment the resolution of your
          photos is rather low and likely to result in low quality print if
          printed. Basically, it says if you want to print that photo then you
          should increase resolution a bit more. Increasing photo resolution will
          increase its size as well.