Why do some email messages not download pictures, and does header choice matter?

Lynda Sanders September 5, 2012

I am using Outlook 2010. Some emails do not have the option to download pictures and only show red crosses in boxes. 90% of email comes in fine.

What header should I be using, Unicode UTF-8 or Western European (Windows) and does this make a difference?

1. julien croy

its probably a security issue. somewhat simple to fix, depending on your client or provider

2. Amit Sinha

this is due to security reasons to get rid of this please go to Tools-->Trust Center and select Automatic Download from left pane and un tick "Don't download pictures automatically in HTML e-mail message or RSS items"

3. Kevin Fegan

I don't use Outlook, but for me, I get the same thing when viewing some HTML email messages on Gmail.

If I right click near the red-X, and select "Show picture" from the context menu, the picture (sometimes) comes to life.

I also agree with Justin Pot that it would help to know where the emails are coming from.

Another possiblity: In some HTML emails, there is a link near the top of the message, something like:
    "Having trouble viewing pictures in this email ? Click here to view this email in its own browser window."

In most cases, the "Source" for the web-version and email-version of the message is the same, so if you see such a link and click it, and you can then see the email message with all the pictures, then it most likely verifies that the pictures do exist, and that the pictures are properly linked in the email message. In that case, it probably points to some process on your computer that is blocking the pictures.

Next, you could view the source of the email message and find the links to the pictures. Then copy the links to try to view the pictures in a browser window to see if the pictures exist and can be viewed.

Finally, you could try to "Forward" the message to another email account that you don't use Outlook to view (or forward to another person), and see if the pictures are viewable.

4. Justin Pot

Are these emails coming from fellow human beings, or companies? Knowing that might help us figure out more, but I'm sure it's one of the things Bruce said.

5. Erlis Dhima

Probably one of the things Bruce said... But I think it might be a web filter, and it might be blocked for security! Check out the options how to enable all incoming images!
    About the encoding, it doesn't have to do with it... The encoding has to do only with text, nothing more...

The images aren't showing up because they are HTML links to the images instead of being directly embedded in the document. The images may be blocked by a firewall or web filter, or more likely, the image may no longer exist at the specified URL. The composer of the message may not have been paying attention to where they grabbed the original image from and are using something that is accessible to them, but not to you (or anyone else attempting to get it from the internet). I have frequently seen them trying to display an image that exists on the creator's hard disk and the link is still pointing to a local hard drive (yours) where the image does not exist.

• John Park

Hi, Bruce i am agree with you when image/banner Is Expired or block by firewall or other . some time some error when sending or reviving.

Outlook Tips
      http://pstrepairtool.blogspot.com