Why does the first eMail always load slow in Outlook Express?

Robert W. Reese September 22, 2010

Running Windows XP Pro SP3 IE8, Outlook Express 6.

The first email takes up to two minutes to open. The rest open right up. Have checked all leads on Google amd Microsoft. Your help would be appreciated. Thanks.

1. Mangeshb945

why slow mail revised incoming mail what reasons plz tell me   

2. Ryan Dube

Robert - I found a decent answer for the behavior for you here:

http://ask.metafilter.com/78238/First-message-in-Outlook-takes-a-long-time-to-open

I thought this comment makes a lot of sense:

"Those kinds of first-time-only delays are usually caused by libraries being loaded."

The first thing I would try is to see if your version of Outlook has any updates/patches from Microsoft that you should apply. Some folks suggest a defrag and/or Windows update - but I imagine that won't do much. Maybe worth a try. If that fails, and if the behavior is really untolerable (I imagine it would be) - maybe changing to another client would be in order?

• Robert W Reese

Thanks for the suggestions, sorry to say they didn't help, still have the same problem. May switch to a different mail handler.

3. Ryan Dube

Robert - could you explain what you mean by "first email"? Do you mean the first in the list, the first one you open upon launching Outlook, or...?

I'd hazard a guess if it's the first email you open - possibly related to processes Outlook is working on upon launching (like sending/receiving messages) that causes the delay, but it's really hard to say without knowing more about the behavior and exactly when t occurs...

• Robert Reese

It is the first email I open even after all are downloaded

4. Saikat Basu

Is Outlook Express launching messenger when it starts up? This could be a cause of the slowdown. Go to Tools>Options> General Tab> uncheck "Automatically log on to Windows Messenger". Also enable the setting for 'When starting, go directly to my Inbox folder'.
    Then go to View>Layout>uncheck 'Contacts'. The contacts pane also uses Messenger to update the online status of your contacts.