Why are some of my email filters being bypassed?

dragonmouth December 28, 2014

My email client is GMail. I have repeatedly marked emails from certain senders as spam. I have also set up filters to automatically delete emails with specific subjects or from specific senders. In spite of my filters,¬†emails from some of the blocked senders make it into my Inbox, bypassing GMail’s and my filters.

In a similar vein, I have set Iceweasel to block certain cookies through Preferences/Privacy/Exceptions. Not only do these cookies keep being left on my system but the “Block” is being changed to “Allow”. Why is this happening?

To use a particular message to create a filter
    https://support.google.com/mail/answer/6579?hl=en

maybe to update iceweasel to the latest version

• dragonmouth

Actually, I think I need to go back a version or two. My problem started after an update to the latest version of Iceweasel (31.3.0) available in the repositories.

ok so 31.3.0 is the latest version then yes rolling back can be a solution; Maybe there are some extensions that are causing it launch the browser without extension in safe mode

• dragonmouth

I can say for certain that it is the latest browser update that is causing this. I updated another PC, running a different distro, from Iceweasel 31.0 to 31.3.0 and now both PCs are allowing cookies to bypass filters. I guess it is time to change browsers.

You can report it for a fix check this one also
      Iceweasel Latest update stealing bandwidth uselessly
      https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2014/12/msg00278.html
      changing to another browser can be a solution

2. Susendeep.D

If you create filter by domain,then it might work well in addition with subject name.See below for more information -

When Gmail's Filters Aren't Enough: How to Tackle Spam on Your Own

Regarding Iceweasel,you can follow the instructions on the below link -

Firefox && Iceweasel Security

Also,the below links can act as supplement or alternative to the above suggestion -

Optimizing Iceweasel/Firefox for privacy

Using Firebug-Cookie Management