Why can’t I get email clients to work with my @india.com address?

Rajaa Chowdhury September 3, 2012

I have a email ID at @india.com. It has full IMAP support (need to enable the option in the server) and you can configure the same as Incoming Sever imap.india.com at Port 143 with no SL/TLS with authentication and the Outgoing as smtp.india.com at Port 25 with no SL/TLS with authentication. I was using Windows Live Mail client, and it auto-configured with a hitch. It was running smoothly and all my folders and actions were getting synced to the server as desired. However, suddenly I faced a problem. All my new incoming messages were not not showing up in the Inbox though the new messages number tag was showing. I could not figure out what was wrong and I did not make any option changes in the client. So when I saw the reward option of PostBox 3.0.5 at MakeUseOf I exchanged it for 300 rewards points.

Then I face a lot of problem. I am listing them as follows :

1. When I tried to auto-configure my @india.com email ID as IMAP, it could not auto-discover. Then when I defined the options alongwith the port number, the SMTP option was automatically getting changed to a different one alonwith SSL and therefore was failing to configure. Ultimately I had to manually configure it with the IMAP parameters.
2. When the folders got synced, though I received all the Inbox messages, I only received two random Sent Items messages.
3. When I deleted a mail from the Inbox in the client, it did not delete the message from the server (though the option has been defined as such in the client), but only got it marked as “Read”.

Neither is their website very helpful on this, therefore I have written the query to them yesterday and awaiting a reply. In the meanwhile, I have uninstalled PostBox and awaiting a resolution. I just hope I have not wasted my 300 reward points on PostBox email client and won’t be using it :( .

Would be ever grateful if someone can help me out to resolve these issues as I am currently using web email access.

1. Nandini Sharma

I have a email ID @india.com and has been using it for a decade..Suddenly today morning while login i got the message that my account is locked .please contact accounts...i have no idea where to contact as there is no speciafic customer support details on the web site..please help..secondly can i configure india.com mailbox in my blackberry

Yes, you can configure the @india.com email as a IMAP or POP with your blackberry email client. If you need further help on the configuration, mentions your Blackberry model and if you want to configure your email as POP or IMAP configuration, and I will tell you how to set it up. For support, click on help on the right hand top corner and then click on contact us on the left side list ( I guess the third link) :) I hope this is helpful.

For support, click on help on the right hand top corner and then click on contact us on the left side list ( I guess the third link) :) on the webmail interface at their website.

• Siddharth

I am having same problem as of Nandini Sharma.
        BUT READ THIS : I had same problem 7 weeks ago. But, it got resolved within 2 or 3 days I think. BUT , NOW 10 DAYS HAVE GONE AND STILL I GET the message PERMANENTLY LOCKED & also, their phone numbers given at their partner site cricketcountry.com are dead(not working).
        Please help me urgently

I am still awaiting a revert from Postbox. So not being able to use the email client. Can anyone kindly help me out please. Specially people using Postbox 3.0.5 email client.

Did you consider that perhaps your india.com address doesn't fully support a standard IMAP access method? Did you enable these in your account beforehand? http://www.emailquestions.com/email-discussions/2975-india-com.html

James,

mail.india.com supports standard IMAP configuration. I did not face any hitch when I configured it with Windows Live Mail client as a IMAP account. It auto-configured and worked the way it was supposed to do till I stopped seeing the new messages in my Inbox as mentioned. The above-mentioned three issues are with the PostBox 3.0.5 email client. So I presume, the issue is not with the @india.com email domain but someting to do with PostBox email client. I wrote to their support three days back and yet to receive an answer. :(

Also the forum discussion thread is very dated, @india.com has now full POP and IMAP support and the options can be similarly enable or disabled in their webmail interface very similar to the way you do it in GMail.