What email client will work on both a Windows Vista laptop and a Win8 tablet?

Anonymous May 30, 2014

I want to have a free desktop email that will work on my Windows Vista laptop and my Windows 8 tablet. I read your article about the best desktop clients and 1 that was listed EClient I downloaded it but the free version only allows you to use on one machine and won’t synch. What I want is to be able to have all my webmail & POP3 mail accounts together on a desktop email and either work on my email from either my laptop computer when I am home or my tablet that I carry in my purse. Any suggestions? Plus now that I have the EClient how do I save the emails I need and then get rid of it because the free version can only be used on 1 machine and it is quite costly for the paid version that you can use on multiple machines. Thank you

As Bruce says, the key is to use IMAP instead of POP. Syncing downloaded POP data (say, through Dropbox) is a mug's game - simply not the way to do it. You can use different clients on the two machines, but Thunderbird is a good choice since, by using an add-on such as Zindus or Google Contacts I can sync. the address book to GMail as well as the messages.

I'm not familiar with EClient. Do you mean Em Client by any chance?

• Cfriedrich1

Thank you. You might be right on the EM Client email, not positive on the name but the free version only allows 2 email accounts, which would be fine with me----but it will not allow you to put it on more than one desktop computer/laptop/tablet (Dell Venue 8) not all 3 and have them work together, so therefore the Em Client doesn't do what I need it to do. I will definitely try Mozilla.org Thunderbird as suggested. I really appreciate the help, this website is awesome and I will recommend to all my tech challenged friends (which is pretty much everyone I work with)!!! LOL!

Since you are looking for a desktop email client, I am assuming you are not running RT on the tablet. Now, you don't need to be using the same software on both devices but if you really want to, Mozilla Thunderbird should work for you. The real trick to keeping them in sync is to avoid using the POP3 mail protocol and using IMAP instead. The default settings for handling POP3 accounts will remove the messages from the server after they have been downloaded to any client while IMAP keeps the contents of the server and client synchronized. That means that if you move a message from your Inbox to another folder, the action will take place on both the client snd the server so when you connect with another device what you saw when you last closed the previous session will be what you see the next time you open a session (plus any additional email that has arrived in your Inbox). With default settings, POP3 will only have those messages on the machine where the action was performed.

As far as moving your email from EClient to another package, you need to find a common format that EClient can export to and its replacement can import from. Or you could export to any format that EClient can both import and export, delete the existing POP3 account from EClient, create a new account in EClient using IMAP settings instead of POP3 and import all of the messages you exported in the first step.

• Cfriedrich1

Thank you both so very much. I was totally surprised to see an answer to my question so fast. Can I bother you for 2 more question, my Time Warner Road Runner webmail is
      Pop. I have called Time Warner tech support to ask about the Imap settings and was told they do not have Imap settings for their email accounts. How do I find the Imap settings for Hotmail & Gmail or will they automatically set up as that?

• Bruce E

If you are going to try Thunderbird, it will attempt to figure out the right POP3 and/or IMAP settings for your accounts. In some cases, both protocols are available and it allows you to pick which one you want although it defaults to having the IMAP option selected if it exists. It does this by maintaining a database of server configurations for many providers. If you enter a Gmail or Hotmail address, it will automatically come up with the correct IMAP settings for you or at least it did for both of my Gmail accounts as well as 2 Hotmail accounts. It may be able to do the same thing for your TWRR account. I have had ISPs tell me they only support POP3 email only to find out that their mail servers also have IMAP enabled but their help desk doesn't know about it.

If you cannot access the TWRR account via IMAP, you could configure either your Hotmail or Gmail account to retrieve those messages via POP3 so you can just access the Hotmail or Gmail account for your TWRR email via IMAP. You can create server rules to automatically file them in a separate folder. By doing this, you can still have your email synchronized between all of your devices.

• carla friedrich

I downloaded Thunderbird on my laptop and let Thunderbird pick the program set Time Warner Roadrunner. The program chose pop settings and I didn't know how to change it to an IMAP setting. Will this mess up the synchronization of the email when I download Thunderbird on my Dell tablet? Is there a way to find or set up manually an IMAP setting, I called Time Warner support and the tech person I spoke to said they are pop and do not have IMAP settings. Before I download Thunderbird onto my tablet I want to make sure I do it write so my laptop & tablet work together so I don't have to separate 2 emails (if I open up my email on my laptop and read my emails ----I don't want to then go to my tablet and have the same emails to read again when I am on my tablet). Is there something special I need to do so this works, especially since Roadrunner is going to show up as a pop account again when I download it to my tablet?? Thanks for any help and advice , Carla.

• Bruce E

Carla, I found this on the Time Warner Cable site:
      http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/residential-home/support/faqs/faqs-internet/e-mailacco/incoming-outgoing-server-addresses.html

It has addresses for both incoming and outgoing mail servers for both POP3 and IMAP.

Try the IMAP settings. If it doesn't work, get back to us for other options.