How can I eliminate a negative statement about myself online?

Rich July 27, 2011

For actual, NERD like work.

It’s a story which I will share in full. Basically, there are well over 50 positive references about me on the internet and I govern more than 10 websites.

However, there is one negative one I cannot seem to bury.

I’ve talked to Google (useless) and I attempted to sue the owner of the reference, but, she seems to be protected by the first amendment.

I will share with you the dozens of things I’ve done to date, all of which have failed.

My hope and PRAYER is that you can easily help me resolve the matter with your technical prowess.

Contact me at rich@recruitcom.com

Awesome, everything I already wanted to say has been said. Good job guys!

Also, I should add that by posting here, you've actually just added another nail in the coffin, since this site ranks quite highly and this post itself is now indexed on the front page when searching for your email or domain name, so now the world knows that you tried to remove a negative review! You gotta love the internet, eh?

• jhpot

Yeah, he really shouldn't have left his email address there...

• Johnbgoodie

You really have to love the internet. now i know what he looks like ;)

• jhpot

You really didn't have to go there...I think Rick learned his lesson. Leave him to contemplate how the Internet works on his own. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect

I just hope it was really him and not just someone who *does* know how the internet works and used this to get him in even more trouble!

I want to talk to Google! What was he like? 

In all seriousness, do you want us to hack Google? You want to remove a bad reference to yourself (fine), but now you leave another paper trail (with your email...) stating that you're trying to cover up? 
    You can't run from everything. I suggest that you simply come out and say what it is, rather than try to hide it and have your users find it and know your covering up (which furthermore makes you look even more guilty). 

You never mentioned what they said was wrong and you're trying to sue them? That's like me getting ripped off and wanting to warn other users about you, but you attempt to sue me for looking out for other people. That's ridiculous.

Freedom of Speech Sir, unless the person publicly offended you or caused major financial or existential damage there is not much you can do.
    You may argue that a bad review causes financial damage but again, it's a review. It's there to help other people make a decision. And if someone thinks you did something wrong you shouldn't try to bury it, make it disappear but accept it and look into it ~ why did the person complain, what may have you done to upset the person and how can you prevent it in the future or improve yourself.

I think the best and most ethical way is to deal with it and to directly reason with the person. Contact the person, say you are sorry they feel that way and ask what they felt went wrong. This way you can also address your point of view on the situation and maybe even convince the person that you didn't exactly do something wrong.

Most bad reviews are written spontaneously out of anger or because a person is very upset. In most cases the person doesn't even feel that way about it 24 hours later. And IF it wasn't entirely your fault maybe the person will even put up a second more reasonable review addressing the situation.

Seriously, in my position I have to directly deal with people and get complaints face-to-face. Even though in 90% I can proof something wasn't my fault or proof the complaint is unfounded I usually tend to say "Well, I'm sorry..." which is enough to spare myself a 10 minute argument simply because the offensive party is satisfied in their complaint and are willing to move on.

• jhpot

I hear you when it comes to dealing with complaints, Mike, particularly if you work in IT. People are frequently unhappy even if you do a great job. The only real solution is to keep working hard and trying to help people as much as possible.

• Wurth115

In services bussinesses, some time  "I am sorry" doesn't work.  I am in a Hotel business, and I am having guests stays all night long and comes in the morning for refund for found other hotel cheaper but it did not have room available. after refusing the refund, person writes a bad review about the business. unfortunately, service business can't do anything about it. SAD!!!