Do electronic voting systems provide results in real-time?

Drsunil V May 12, 2014

Do Election Commissions (National Election process governing bodies) get access to vote counts in real-time through electronic voting system?

Not all electronic systems are the same, so I'm sure Rajaa is right, but in other places this may not be the case. However, as far as I know, laws in all democratic countries are designed to prevent early release of the information so as not to affect the outcome of the elections. "Early" is defined differently in different countries - in some countries it's "before a particular ballot box has closed" and in others it's "before the elections have been completed". Either of those would suggest that real-time counting would not be allowed.

• Drsunil V

Thanks. I carefully understood your implications of election results security

2. Rajaa C

Technically the EVMs used in India, can throw up the results and the counts of vote casted in real time. However, as a policy matter, it is not practiced in India and the access to EVMs are allowed on the result counting day only.

• Drsunil V

Thanks. That is a very comprehensive reply.