What is the most efficient way to change my email address?
Question by Matthieu Covemaeker /

My current email address looks unprofessional. So I made another Gmail account, but how do you do everything so you do not lose your Google+ and YouTube account?

And what is the best way to inform all your contacts of this change so they change your email address in their contact list?

• Dalsan

Honestly, I would have a personal account, professional/business account, and a junk account. Might be a hassle to some people, but reduces confusion and spam emails where you prefer not to have it. Same thing with Facebook, I don’t use my real info because of the hassle businesses can have with stuff they see within your personal business that has little to nothing to do with your professional business. This way you can separate personal life from business life, the way it should be. I will have my own professional accounts when there is a need for me to have one, as I would rather have dumb emails and junk emails not clutter the more important business account. To me it makes better sense. Just my opinion on how to keep life in check with balance.

• Scott Howard aka ScLoHo

Informing others of the best email for me was something I did a few days ago. Here are the details:

• rob

I think you have to keep your old gmail, G+ and YouTube. Migrate what you need to, make sure anything new goes into the new versions but keep the old stuff as long as you need.

I suspect there’s a bigger point to make here too: whilst a “quirky” email name is fine while you’re chatting among friends a) it’s only funny the first time they see it and b) when you apply for a job or need to email in a more professional situation it can be seriously inappropriate. That can present difficulties, a name like john.smith@ will be unavailable and john.smith5348@ isn’t great. Anyway the message to anyone is: get a “sensible” email address.

As regards email, the other replies just about cover it
    1. email an advice to your contacts (in the unlikely event that there’s a very large number, be aware of Google’s maximum permitted sending limits – 500 a day I think.)
    2. forward your “old” mail to the new account
    3. After a few days set up an auto reply in the old gmail account (Vacation responder) to tell folk to send to the new address
    4. Set up a signature so when you send there’s a reminder of new address at the bottom and “Please check you address book to make sure you have my new email address and delete the old one”

As regards G+ – not so sure. Something like: make a circle with all contacts, share that circle to your new account then send an “I’ve moved” notification to everyone.
    Use the “data liberation” feature in account settings to export everything.
    I assume (not tried) the “liberated data” files can be imported to your new G+

YouTube – does it really matter if you retain your old identity?

It’s possible that Google will implement better options in future – for example they’ve been promising a G+ migration tool “real soon now” for a few months.

• skk

their is 2 feature in gmail,you can take benefit of these:
    1. forward your email to new account which will help you reach your all email in old account with out opening.
    to enable this see this : http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=10957
    2.you can also send email using your old email without opening old account & help you to manage multiple email account under a single roof.if you want to enable this settings.see this http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=22370

you can also go for mike recommendation parllel with my recomendations.

I’m not sure about Google+ and YouTube ~ technically Google let’s you link multiple accounts together.

As for “promoting” your new email address my personal suggestion is:
    (1) inform all of your family, friends, and important contacts
    (2) Setup an automatic reply on the old address informing everyone about your new contact details
    (3) Check the old address as usual during the first week of change. Check the old address only once a week after that. The general idea is to have people notice that the old email address is no longer your primary or priority contact.