What can I do after an EEEpc Unbuntu uninstall failure?

Craig September 14, 2011

Attempted to uninstall Ubuntu on an Asus Eee PC based on the instructions at The Non-Geek’s Guide To Safely Uninstall Ubuntu From A Dual-Booting Machine The Non-Geek's Guide To Safely Uninstall Ubuntu From A Dual-Booting Machine The Non-Geek's Guide To Safely Uninstall Ubuntu From A Dual-Booting Machine Read More .

After performing the steps involving Easy BCD and trying to reboot, I am unable to boot Windows. I am taken to black screen Windows Boot Manager. “Windows Failed to Start. …recent hardware/software change…To Fix..:”
I followed the listed steps precisely.

File \Boot\BCD
Status 0xc0000098

No valid OS entry.

This computer does not have an optical drive and hence came with no media. I am at a loss as to how to do anything at this point. It’s disheartening and is killing my tinkering muscle thinking I bricked this device.

I would appreciate any suggestions(or ideally, a detailed step-by-step;). I have intermediate technical skill, it is possible I may have omitted essential information.

1. Craig

I fixed the problem by locating a Windows 7 Recovery Disk Iso file, placing the files on an SD card, entering the BIOS of the Eee PC by pressing F2 after powering the device on, and placing the the Removable Media into the first slot for the order in which the HDD's are utilized. It successfully ran the Recovery media the first time.

Thanks for the update, Craig!

• Maus

yeah thanks for the update. a win7 recovery iso huh. now i dont feel so scared about making a dualboot install anymore.