How can you edit a saved site password in Google Chrome?

frowny February 10, 2011

I often have to log into a site that encrypts passwords in-browser before sending them to the server. Because of how passwords are handled, Google Chrome captures the encrypted version of the password, not the original. This means that upon entering the site again, it automatically enters my username and the encrypted password, which is re-encrypted, and which causes it to register a bad password.

Is there any way to manually edit the password stored in the browser? Where are the passwords physically stored, especially in Ubuntu?

1. Submit

Good work, and good chrome password editing, you can view viewing chrome in my article

Frowny,

Any luck with the workaround from FIDELIS? Or are you still getting two separate entries for the same site?

Aibek

3. fruitgeek

On the mac, they are saved in Keychain

4. Shivank

Well from the Options->Show Saved Passwords menu, delete the old password. Then re-login again and save the correct password. Hope it helps.

• Kathy

This worked for me. thanks

5. Akshat

I suppose you should check out LastPass, cause its one awesome piece of software with which u have total control over ur passwords and login data. With the great browser extension support u dont have to worry even if ur sitting in front of some another PC.

6. Frowny

I tried the workaround suggested by FIDELIS and and logged in. It worked the first time, but upon trying to log in a second time, it reverted to entering the already encrypted version. looking at the saved passwords, it shows two separate entries for the same website and uses the wrong one. I deleted the encrypted version, logged in logged out, and again it enters the hashed password, again there are two entries. Any ideas?

Hello, all the information for logins is located in a folder named Web Data. Check your Chrome folder under your login name for the default folder. The Web Data folder should be located in there. If you cannot see it, it might be hidden.

Also, if you have Firefox install you can try a workaround.

-- Clear your password on Chrome
    -- Open Firefox
    -- Save the password in Firefox
    -- See if you can import passwords from firefox to Chrome

There was a portable tool called Chrome Password Decryptor, that did something similar on Windows....I do not know if it still exist or not and also I do not know if it would work on Linux. I would say, your best option is to install a third party option to handle your passwords.

http://www.google.com/support/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=95606

8. Frowny

Is there perhaps a way of blocking certain sites from running JavaScript?

Frowny,

you are describing a known problem with storing passwords in Google Chrome. Please see this question and this bug report.

It appears that the bug has not been fixed yet and I am not aware of a way to edit the file that stores the saved passwords in Google Chrome.

However, a temporary solution might be to use a browser extension like LastPass to store your passwords. This will give you more control.