What is the best e-commerce plugin for WordPress?

TrueKolor April 16, 2012

I want to install a simple, catalogue-like shop to an existing website and I’ve already tried like 10 plugins that were suggested by “top-lists” found via Google, but none of them are actually “out-of-the-box”. One has to hack a lot to get them working.

Can anyone suggest a really straight-forward e-commerce plugin that would make me happy?

Did you try the suggestions listed on http://www.makeuseof.com/pages/best-wordpress-plugins ? Jigoshop http://demo.jigoshop.com/preview.html is free and basically works out of the box, though of course you're going to need to configure something. 

• Azamat "Bohed" E

Yes, James, actually it was the first one I tried. But I did a lot of little changes to integrate it with my current theme and still wasn't satisfied. It was a headache...

Integrating with your own theme is going to need major edits no matter what plugin you choose, I think. You're better off starting with a specific shop plugin, then integrating your old blog content into that theme - I'm sure most shop specific theme have blog functionality too.

• Azamat "Bohed" E

Thanks, James. What you think if I better off with creating a subdomain for my shop to avoid all this integration pain?

Subdomain, subfolder, doesn't really matter. It's the theme thats the problem, so either (a) a new install, as you say or (b) use a shop theme as the primary, fit your existing content into that. 

• Azamat "Bohed" E

Thanks James!
          I decided to install the eShop plugin with a compatible theme and put it all into a subdomain. Which turned out to be MUCH easier than anything. Solved.