Is it possible that someone is eavesdropping on my cell phone conversations?

K. VILLE September 15, 2011

I believe my cell conversations are being monitored. If that someone is using Bluetooth spyware, would they need my cell number to actually access my phone?

1. Robert

My cell is being bug buy my job what can I do about it

Robert,

I'm afraid I don't understand your question. What is the problem?

2. Mulder

Yes, it's possible, but highly unlikely. If you're really worried about that, you can buy some encryption software for your smartphone (if you have one of the compatible models) and use that to communicate. But for that to work, everyone you communicate with using your cell phone must also be using that same software. There is no government capable of decrypting such communications.

Your other alternative is to stop communicating via cell phone and get a landline, or limit all your communication to face-to-face interactions, and encrypted email.

But I think you're being a bit paranoid.

• LilCrafty45

We're NOT being paranoid, we are being smart, and cautious !  :-)

Yes this is very possible. They would not need your number to eavesdrop or exploit vulnerabilities since on a bluetooth network you can't identify the origin of a message anyway. However they would need to be in the path of the sender and receiver or at least near you. However, eavesdropping and spyware are different, though similar. If your phone is infected with spyware, an eavesdropper can plant software onto your phone and record your calls, pinpoint your location using built-in tracking technology (even when the phone is off if battery is in it), send/record/view text messages, etc.

There has been documented cases of this happening, most notoriously when the FBI did it and more recently Rupert Murdock and his criminal gang. In fact it's a very simple process to eavesdrop other cellphone calls. A recent study finds that 73% of all cellphones are vulnerable to such an attack. Fortunately there are a few security persuasions you may take to secure your mobile device, most obvious would be to disable bluetooth capabilities when in a public area.

The likelihood of a hacker wanting to listen into your conversion with your grandmother discussing your fourth grade arithmetic papers isn't very likely. If you're looking to stop the FBI from snooping into your private life, don't count on being successful because they own this fucking place.