Do you know of an easy to use iMovie-like video editor for Windows?

Timothy Johnson III July 7, 2011

I’m looking for an easy-to-use video editor, similar to Apple’s iMovie, for Windows. I want to use to add links/texts into video blog postings.

1. Effiesilb

If you are looking for a free solution Movie Maker is the way to go. In Windows 7 and Vista it is part of the "Windows Live Essentials" package. In XP it should be installed by default. If you are willing to pay, and it is extremely expensive, you can download Adobe Premier Pro, which is really a much better program.

And not very easy to easy at all...

Movie Maker is probabaly the best choice, though don't expect results that are anyway near the quality of iMovie. Think.. lame infomercials with text flying acorss the screen in big bold letters, call 1-800-WEDDING VIDEOS!

Now would be a good time to switch to a Mac, perhaps?

• Roy

A friend and I did a video project not long ago, with both of us editing different portions of it.  We talked about style, transitions, titles, etc. and both aimed for the same polished feel.  The portions of the video we each did were indistinguishable.  (For the record, we both use much higher-end editing software normally.  He uses Final Cut Pro and I use Adobe Premier Pro.  We just thought this would be a fun test project.)

The lesson to learn from this little real-world example: you can't the capabilities of a software by looking at what some tasteless, unskilled people do with it.  People with no training or experience look at certain titles and transitions and say, "OMG THAT LOOKS SO COOOOOLLLL!!!"  That isn't a reflection on the software's capabilities.

Another lesson that could be learned and serve you well: not every question is an opportunity to evangelize for Apple.  There is a perception of the stereotypical Apple fan whose answer to every question in life is, "That's why you should buy a Mac (or other Apple product)", and who puts down other platforms/products with baseless arguments and fallacies just to make the competing Apple product seem that much better.  This stereotypical iFanboy is smug and abrasive due to an overwhelming sense of superiority, based on something as simple as a tech product preference!  Usually such stereotypes are thought of as major exaggerations -- almost more of a caricature than a real person.  But you are proof that some people are walking stereotypes.

One other thing you are: the sole reason I now visit makeuseof.com very, very rarely instead of coming here daily like I used to.

• Roy

*can't judge the capabilities of a software...

• Roy

In my disgust, I forgot to mention that my friend used iMovie and I used Movie Maker, and that Movie Maker is indeed very easy to use.