How can I easily transfer my programs and settings from Windows XP to 7?
Question by Tooma /

I am using Windows XP and I want to transfer to Windows 7, but I don’t want to reinstall all my applications and their settings and my saved bookmarks. Is there any program that will do that for me?

Browse other questions & answers in the category ; tagged , , , , , ; or ask your own question.

• Appmen

You may consider to use WET (windows easy transfer) and PickMeApp: two free solutions to migrate from XP to Windows 7. WET may transfer your XP program settings to Win 7 while portable PickMeApp tool may transfer programs from XP to Windows 7. PickMeApp claims to support unlimited number of programs.

• Jack Cola

I would get an external harddrive, move all your files to that, export your bookmarks from your web browsers, and look in your application data folder to export your emails profiles etc.

If you want help doing so, just reply.

Adding to the above answers, I’ve just upgrade my XP to Win 7 and found out that the old windows apps are still intact within a folder called “Windows.old” in C: and they are still working (but some apps need to be re-registered).

I also use Ninite ( to bulk install some basic apps starting from Firefox to Notepad++.

In case you’re using Firefox, just copy your profile and your browser will look like you never reinstalled your system, extensions included.

• Saikat Basu

As far as I know, you will have to reinstall all applications. So the article mentioned by Steve covers everything. Bookmarks can be easily exported. All browsers have an Export Bookmarks feature. Do that and copy it to another location. After your OS installation, just import it again. For bookmarks, I will always advise you to use something like XMarks which is a bookmark syncing tool.

Here are a few other resources:

Upgrading from Windows XP to Windows 7
    How Do I: Migrating from Windows XP to Windows 7?

• Steve Campbell

I’m not sure that applications and settings can be transferred over so I would go into the applications and see if any of them allow for exporting of settings just to be safe.

You should check out this article and the links within it. It should help you out: