Dyne:bolic bootable cd can’t get past limbo?

Tim February 1, 2010

Could anyone with experience in Linux and Dyne:bolic tell me what I’m doing wrong?

I recently found a couple of very cool looking video editing software apps that I’d really like to try out (the multiple layers and “video in video” features sound fantastic).

The problem is that they are only offered as Linux apps, and I have zero experience with Linux. However, the app websites included instructions on how to create a linux bootable cd using something called Dyne:bolic. It sounded so simple:

Reboot with Dyne:bolic disk in the dvd drive and you are running on the Linux operating system. You get to try all the apps made for Linux.
Take the disk out and reboot, you’re running on Windows.

I’m embarrassed to say I can’t even get started. What I’ve done so far:

(I have an hp g60-243cl notebook pc with windows vista, 4 GB/320GB. 1 Year old.)

While still in Windows
Downloaded dynebolic 2.5.2 and burned an image on a dvd.
Copied the “dyne” directory to C:

When booting from the dvd I get to the point where I have a [d:b]/# prompt. Above that is displayed 7 available commands. Above that the statement: You are floating in limbo.

At the top of the screen are several lines of:
Cat:/boot/volumns: no such file or directory could be found. Above that:
Root:[!] no device containing the dynebolic system has been detected.

I’m not a superuser, but I thought I had a little more going for me than the average pc owner. I spent all day yesterday searching through linux forums, found plenty of dead ends but couldn’t get past the limbo condition.

I guess my first question is, should I just pack it in, admit this is beyond me? Or is there hope?

Thanks, Any enlightenment will be appreciated, Tim

1. Handoo Sagar

first of all create a cd not a dvd, then dont copy the directory to c drive it is procedure required to boot using hard drive.
    to boot from created dyne CD just change the BIOS of your system to make the CD drive first boot device and simply restart the system to boot using CD and to work on windows you need to boot without CD in drive

2. sms-store

dear tim
    first of all create a cd from downloaded image,
    then follow these steps
    1-boot from cd
    2-when dyne is loaded copy the dyne folder to your hard disk root most probably 0 or 1
    (you can confirm it from data in your hard disk)
    3-now most difficult step is to configure boot (grub or lilo) for which detailed instructions are available in mannual

-in case you dont want to dual boot and want to run only dyne
    then after step 2 just run a command grubconfig in hard disk root directory and it is done

-similarly you can take similar steps to create a bootable usb

->i am using dyne since 2006 and feel that best way is to create a bootable usb of at least 8gb size and use hard disk only for storage purposes. it is saving me from carying my laptop around with me i just cary my pen drive with essential data in it and use it at any system by booting that system from usb

3. booqs

isn't dynebolic supposed to run on off a cd, not dvd?