Dyne:bolic bootable cd can’t get past limbo?

Tim February 1, 2010

Could anyone with experience in Linux and Dyne:bolic tell me what I’m doing wrong?

I recently found a couple of very cool looking video editing software apps that I’d really like to try out (the multiple layers and “video in video” features sound fantastic).

The problem is that they are only offered as Linux apps, and I have zero experience with Linux. However, the app websites included instructions on how to create a linux bootable cd using something called Dyne:bolic. It sounded so simple:

Reboot with Dyne:bolic disk in the dvd drive and you are running on the Linux operating system. You get to try all the apps made for Linux.
Take the disk out and reboot, you’re running on Windows.

I’m embarrassed to say I can’t even get started. What I’ve done so far:

(I have an hp g60-243cl notebook pc with windows vista, 4 GB/320GB. 1 Year old.)

While still in Windows
Downloaded dynebolic 2.5.2 and burned an image on a dvd.
Copied the “dyne” directory to C:

When booting from the dvd I get to the point where I have a [d:b]/# prompt. Above that is displayed 7 available commands. Above that the statement: You are floating in limbo.

At the top of the screen are several lines of:
Cat:/boot/volumns: no such file or directory could be found. Above that:
Root:[!] no device containing the dynebolic system has been detected.

I’m not a superuser, but I thought I had a little more going for me than the average pc owner. I spent all day yesterday searching through linux forums, found plenty of dead ends but couldn’t get past the limbo condition.

I guess my first question is, should I just pack it in, admit this is beyond me? Or is there hope?

Thanks, Any enlightenment will be appreciated, Tim