How can I use DynDns to connect to more than one application in my home network?

Bhala October 30, 2011

I recently read this article on connecting home PCs from anywhere using DynDns. But I have a DVR and a PC running on my home network. Is it possible to configure my router to access both the DVR’s web interface and any PC application, say µTorrent’s web UI, from an external network?

Depending on your Router/Modem it is possible.

Basically all you have to do is setup port forwarding on your Router/Modem for the devices and then use the individual ports to access each device.

One example setup would be to forward port "80" to to your DVRs IP Address and port "8080" to your computers address uTorrent. Accessing the devices would then be done via
    example.dyndns.org:80 for your DVR
    example.dyndns.org:8080 for uTorrent

This type of setup assumes that each device is using the default Port 80 for HTTP or Port 443 for HTTPS.

If they use ports different from that it is best to use the same ports from the internet site e.g. if your DVR uses Port 5000 and uTorrent port 6000 you should use the same for port forwarding and remote access
    example.dyndns.org:5000
    example.dyndns.org:6000

* You will want each device to either have their IP Address set manually or if your Router/Modem supports it setup DHCP Reservation (sometimes called "Static DHCP"). Otherwise the devices will have different IP Address assigned to them via DHCP and you'd have to adjust Port Forwarding whenver they change.

• Bhalakumaran M

Hi Mike,
      Thanks for the reply. I will try it out and let you know the results. Regarding the IP reservation, I use a Belkin Modem + Wifi Router. I haven't been able to find a DHCP reservation option in the LAN settings. 
      In that case, if i turn off DHCP server, should i assign a IP to each and every device in my network whenever i connect any new device, instead of setting it in the modem ?

No, not at all... just leave the DHCP Server running [for all other devices] as it is and simply assign IP Addresses outside the pool to the devices mentioned above.

If DHCP provides 192.168.0.100 - 192.168.0.150 simply give your DVR and your computer running uTorrent an address lower than *.100 or higher than *.150
        For example 192.168.0.50 for your DVR and 192.168.0.60 for your computer.