Why do DVDs I burn with Nero not work in my DVD player?
Question by silvester /

I am using NERO to burn DVDs. When I burn DVDs, it works in PCs, but not in the DVD player. I want to know how to burn a DVD to work in my DVD player, too.

I tried all formats: mp4, 3gp, avi etc. All supported formats of my DVD player, but none works. Is it NERO’s problem? How can I overcome this? Please help!

But you don’t  really need to try these formats, just select the option in nero which says something like
    “create dvd video ”

and I think you will successfully burn a video dvd, that will have .vob video files.

And you will be able to play it on dvd players.

for nero7 :
    open nero startsmart : select make your own dvd video
    Read the tool tip in the image.

• Silvesterkphilip

when i make .vob format it too large.., not include in a single disk…

Well, try to convert them into mpg or wmv file format.
      using a video converter like format factory or movie maker.

Hello, can you explain a little bit more about how you are trying to burn DVD’s? It seems to me based in your description, you are just burning your media files to DVD using the burn as data option.  With burn as data option, all you are doing is burning any avi, mp4 to a DVD disc, but it is not in DVD format.

In order for you to burn any video file to DVD and watch it as a regular movie, you have to convert the mp4, avi, etc, into DVD format.  Once file is converted to DVD, you can use NERO and burn the DVD file to disc.  If you burn it this way, you will be able to make menus, add subtitles (if available) if you so desire.  If you have the NERO suit, you can use the inbuilt DVD creator with NERO. 

Also, sometimes and depending on what type of DVD discs you are using, there might be need to shrink the DVD formatted files so that they can fit in one DVD.  One of the best software for doing this because of its many capabilities and speed is the following:

http://www.vso-software.fr/products/convert_x_to_dvd/

Of course, there are many free options to convert video files to DVD.  Here is one example:

http://www.dvdflick.net/

Also, if your already converted the video files to DVD format and then you burn them with NERO, make sure to set and burn the DVD file to DVD by using slow speed.  The slowest the better.  If you burn them at high speed, it might skips files and then you will get coasters (unplayable disc). 

• Silvesterkphilip

thanks 4 ur help…
      but when i try to make dvd format its too large…i mean when i make a 1 gb mp4 to dvd its become 3 or 5 gb .
      that doesnot support in 4 gb disc.. then how?? in Nero only data burn option is available.. hw in dvd player for???

Hello, if you are using DVD+-R DVD media, it can fit a file up to 4.37 GB.  That means that if you get a file converted to DVD, as long as the file is under 4.3 GB, will fit in a DVD disc. 

Even in the basic versions of Nero past version 7, Nero express has the option to burn DVD files. In order for you to access it, you have to do the following:

— open nero express
      — click on vides/pictures option
      — click on DVD/video files
      — click on the ADD button
      — browse to where your converted DVD folder is
      — click on file to be added and click on add at bottom
      — click on next
      — type the name of the DVD
      — in left hand side of box, there should an arrow pointing left, click on it to open the options box
      — change to burning speed to 4x
      — click on burn button at bottom of box
      — 13 minutes later your dvd disc is burned
      — try it on your DVD player

Now if the finished DVD file is over 4.3 GB, you can use DVD shrink to make it fit in one DVD.  Of course if the compression is to big you might loose a little bit of quality but not much.  You can download DVD Shrink in the next link:

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cd_dvd/copy_dvd/dvd_shrink.cfm

Dowload DVD shrink from link and install it.  If the file is over 4.3 GB, this is what you do:

— open DVD shrink
      — on menu, click on edit
      — select preferences
      — make sure that target size is selected to 4.7 GB
      and then click on ok
      — on menu, select on open folder
      — browse to where your DVD folder is saved
      — click on ok
      — dvd shrink will analize the file
      — on box on left hand side, make sure that compression is set to automatic
      — on menu, click on backup.  You can either make the backup to an ISO image, a DVD folder or you can burn it directly to disc if you have NERO
      — if you want to burn it to disc, point to your dvd/cd burner drive and then click on ok.

Now, this process is going to take some time depending on your computer and how much the dvd file has to be compressed.  It will compressed the file first and then burn it. 

There are other options.  What version of NERO do you have?  Nero also has the ability to shrink files.  If you have a version of NERO higher than version 7, you should have the Nero recode software included.  Nero Recode can shrink files too.  It is just a matter of setting the size limit to 4.37 GBs.  If you have Nero Recode, let me know and if you want I can help you configure it.

• Silvesterkphilip

Thank you very much 4 ur great help…
      i hav nero 7..so i think no recode. but i download dvd shrink…
      once more thank you sir 4 ur detailed answer…

no problema