Why does my DVD drive not recognize movie DVDs?
Question by Bob /

The DVD drive on my HP Pavilion Slimline reads and plays CD audios fine. However, DVD movies are no longer recognized when inserted.

I totally “rebuilt” system resetting all back to original factory settings. Set autoplay to “ask everytime”. This morning I inserted DVD movie and worked fine after opening it with Windows Media Center. I removed the media to allow more Microsoft “updates”, rebooted and now same disc is not even recognized. Restored system back to settings from last night and system will not recognize DVD media but reads CDs fine.

Been actually working on this issue for a few weeks now, much to my wife’s chagrin, and resorted to the system “rebuild” yesterday. Any thoughts?

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , , , , ; or ask your own question.

Answer (1)

Hi
    Id microsoft update is doing this then possible you have some region problems or microsoft certificate.
    This is designed to prevent illegal selling of software titles between regions. Use compatible DVD movies for the region you are in
    Resolving DVD Movie Problems in Windows Vista
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00819293&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3643454

Sounds like the laser that reads DVD is not working, but the one that reads
    CD is. Try swapping the drive with a known working one in another computer.

alos It could be that the laser lens is dirty. You could try cleaning it with one of the many commercial products available. However, Or you can try craking open optical drives and cleaning the lens directly

be sure that its not codec problemx, try to install klite codec. Also try with VLC player.

Some rootkit and malware can cause also this kind of problems. So scan with some seciroty soft.

In the worst case scenario, your DVD drive needs to be replaced.