What DVD disk is best for daily TV recordings, reusing the same disk?

Anonymous December 22, 2013

I would like to record on a daily basis my favorite TV program. Which DVD disk format is best for this use? I don’t want to keep inserting a “new” disk each time.

Thanks Matthew...the +RW format seems to do the trick. Appreciate your response!
    Bob

2. Matthew

Depends what your machine supports.

DVD-RAM is probably the best format for scratchpad use, but is not certain to be supported.

If the recorder is only +/-R/RW capable, then I believe the rewrite capabilities of +RW are a bit more advanced than -RW.

Robert,

If you have found your solution,then kindly choose the best one and up-vote it by clicking on the left side of the best comment.

This will mark your question as resolved.

How to Record TV to DVD
    http://www.ehow.com/how_5729414_record-tv-dvd.html
    When writing to a DVD +R/+RW and DVD-R/-RW if you select "Auto Finalize" (Toshiba D-R400 Tunerless 1080p Upconverting DivX Certified DVD Recorder) this makes the DVD viewable on other machines.
    Write-once (permanent) discs(DVD-R/DVD+R/DVD-R DL (dual-layer)/DVD+R DL (dual-layer))
    Rewriteable (erasable) discs (DVD-RW/DVD+RW/DVD-RAM)

DVD-RAM is a removable storage device for computers and video recording. It has become widely used in DVD video recorders because of the flexibility it provides in editing a recording
    http://dvr.about.com/od/dvdrecordableformats/f/faq4.htm
    if you record as DVD-RAM, it'll likely only playback in a DVD-RAM recorder.

• Robert L

Again, another very helpful answer! Thanks so much for your expertise!

5. Robert L

Thanks for your answer. I appreciate the info!

What you need is DVD-R, DVD+R or DVD=RAM. Of the three, DVD-RAM is probably the best at doing the job, also the least common and least compatible with other systems. If your drive supports it, that's the one to use. As for the other two - there's little to choose between them, choose whatever your DVD writer supports.