Why won’t the DVD I burned play on my DVD player?

Tommy October 14, 2012

I burned a DVD this morning using DVD Flick and when I put the DVD into my DVD player connected to the TV it tells me “disk error”. My issue is that I previously used DVD Flick to burn a disk while I slept and that movie plays fine on that DVD player, so I used the same settings again and this time it doesn’t work!

Why would this happen overnight with nobody else using the computer? How do I fix this issue?

1. Avinash

Well friend, this sure looks like an erroneous burning. If you are using Windows 7 , then why don't you try to use the inbuilt "Windows Disc Image Burner" ? This come pre installed in Windows 7 & provide super simple interface (Remenber these work with only IMAGE FILES ). If you want, u can try a good DVD disc (check it for scratchs ) or a software like Nero. Also, if you want, you can go for DVD Flick again by testing it with another disc. Also you should check if you have messed with the DVD's region code.. Anyways, try these & gimme ur feedbacks !!! Also, you can get some help from here

cheers :)

This is rather old software (Newest Ver - October 28, 2009). Maybe try newer DVD burner Freeware.

3. Harry Barnes

It was almost certainly just a one off error, so if you burn it again then it should work, just make sure you don't select the data disk option

4. Alex Perkins

Have you tried it on different players?

5. Caroline West

It may be a Regional issue so a DVD from the US only cannot be played in Europe and vice-versa. Then it could be an issue with it being coded so that it cannot be reproduced by whomever is the owner of the rights to the material. I don't know if there is a 'Legal' way around it.

6. Dany Bouffard

Some DVD players are better at reading burned disk than others. Maybe that particular brand of disk you used is not perfectly compatible with your DVD player. Try it in your PC to make sure its not a bad burn tho.

7. Kevin Flowers

Check out the following and you should be able to find your answer to your question.

Disk Type

There are multiple types of DVDs, and certain DVD players and burners will only accept certain types of disks. Use the DVD Buyer's Guide to check that you are using the correct type of DVD.

Your DVD Player

If you bought your DVD player within the past couple years, you should be able to use it to play DVDs burned on your home computer. However, older DVD players won’t necessarily recognize and play home-burned DVDs.

DVD Labeling

Avoid those stick-on DVD labels! They are marketed for labeling DVDs, but in many cases they will prevent an otherwise fine DVD from playing. Instead, use a permanent marker, inkjet printer or a Lightscribe DVD writer to put titles and labels on the disk.

Just like with CDs, scratches and dust can impede the proper playing of DVDs. Clean your DVD and see if it will play. If not, try burning a new copy of the disk.

Burn Speed

When you burn a DVD, you’re given the option of burn speed (2X, 4X, 8X etc). The slower the burn, the more reliable the disk will be. In fact, some DVD players won’t even play disks burned at speeds greater than 4X.

DVD Format

DVDs aren’t universal; what plays in the US won’t play everywhere else in the world. There’s a chance your DVD is formatted for European viewing or coded for some other global region.

North American DVD players are designed for NTSC disks formatted for region 1 or 0.

Bad Burn

Sometimes you just get a bad burn. Could be the disk, could be your computer, could be a speck of dust. Learn how to avoid DVD burning errors.

8. Dave Rimmer

These things just happen it's called a bad burn, look at the burn side can you see what looks like a skip or missed part. You may have had it on a different burn speed, always check the burn speed before you burn, make sure you burn on the lowest speed you can ie x2, x4 or x6, some DVDs will only let you burn on x6 as it's lowest speed, I usually use Verbatim -R with no bad burns but they are great but a bit expensive and they let you burn at x4, however I sometimes use Ritek -R and the lowest burn speed is x6 so I sometimes get a few bad burns from these even though I do everything the same way. So the moral of the story is Always use good named DVDs -R and Burn on lowest burn speed.

9. Saurabh Banwaskar

Using NERO Burn The DVD Again With Option "Burn A Multi-session Disk "
    Your Problem Will Resolve.

10. uday kanna

check out the format....

11. Adrian Rea

Is it a ligitimate copy? some distributors use different encryption methods and the player may see this as a pirate.

12. Macwitty

Can you play it on your computer, the same you burned it on? If not there might be an error on the disk itself

It might be corrupted already or you nee to try using different burning software.

14. kumar raja

I think U can use NERO software for burning CD/DVD It is very nice and working 1oo% u can try it

15. Imesh Chandrasiri

I think there might be a disc error. in rare cases, there are DVDs which burn successfully are not identified in certain DVD players. please try using another DVD...

16. Adrian Rea

How are you burning the content, is it as a file like divx that some players can read or is it a copy of a disk. Did you FINALISE the disc after burning as most wont play in dvd machines unless finalised

17. Gordon Scott

Might be a bad burn. try it in a few other machines. and also when you burn verify the burn.
    In my experience the biggest issue is compatability...with gazzilions of payers and a gazzilion types of media there are bound to be issues.

choose a -R for best overall compatability when buying media.

Nero is excellent burning software.

18. Sanjay Rajvanshi

Try using another program for burning dvd , also check for some tutorials on line which can give you insight about these softwares.

19. Yiz Borol

Generally the issue is region codes, you have to make sure that the DVD is coded to the region that your DVD player was bought in for in formation on the topic (Why anyone would do this and what it's all about as well as what your region is go here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_region_code )

I know that you said that the first DVD worked while the 2nd one didn't and that you did everything the same, but maybe you didn't, I've never used DVD flick, but I'd wager that there's a little drop down menu that you saw the first time but forgot about the 2nd time...

btw if you have a PS3 or xBox 360 the DVD should play regardless of region code.