Why won’t the DVD I burned play on my DVD player?
Question by Tommy /

I burned a DVD this morning using DVD Flick and when I put the DVD into my DVD player connected to the TV it tells me “disk error”. My issue is that I previously used DVD Flick to burn a disk while I slept and that movie plays fine on that DVD player, so I used the same settings again and this time it doesn’t work!

Why would this happen overnight with nobody else using the computer? How do I fix this issue?

• Avinash

Well friend, this sure looks like an erroneous burning. If you are using Windows 7 , then why don’t you try to use the inbuilt “Windows Disc Image Burner” ? This come pre installed in Windows 7 & provide super simple interface (Remenber these work with only IMAGE FILES ). If you want, u can try a good DVD disc (check it for scratchs ) or a software like Nero. Also, if you want, you can go for DVD Flick again by testing it with another disc. Also you should check if you have messed with the DVD’s region code.. Anyways, try these & gimme ur feedbacks !!! Also, you can get some help from here

cheers :)

• Jim Chambers

This is rather old software (Newest Ver – October 28, 2009). Maybe try newer DVD burner Freeware.

• Harry Barnes

It was almost certainly just a one off error, so if you burn it again then it should work, just make sure you don’t select the data disk option

• Alex Perkins

Have you tried it on different players?

• Caroline West

It may be a Regional issue so a DVD from the US only cannot be played in Europe and vice-versa. Then it could be an issue with it being coded so that it cannot be reproduced by whomever is the owner of the rights to the material. I don’t know if there is a ‘Legal’ way around it.

• Dany Bouffard

Some DVD players are better at reading burned disk than others. Maybe that particular brand of disk you used is not perfectly compatible with your DVD player. Try it in your PC to make sure its not a bad burn tho.

• Kevin Flowers

Check out the following and you should be able to find your answer to your question.

Disk Type

There are multiple types of DVDs, and certain DVD players and burners will only accept certain types of disks. Use the DVD Buyer’s Guide to check that you are using the correct type of DVD.

Your DVD Player

If you bought your DVD player within the past couple years, you should be able to use it to play DVDs burned on your home computer. However, older DVD players won’t necessarily recognize and play home-burned DVDs.

DVD Labeling

Avoid those stick-on DVD labels! They are marketed for labeling DVDs, but in many cases they will prevent an otherwise fine DVD from playing. Instead, use a permanent marker, inkjet printer or a Lightscribe DVD writer to put titles and labels on the disk.

Just like with CDs, scratches and dust can impede the proper playing of DVDs. Clean your DVD and see if it will play. If not, try burning a new copy of the disk.

Burn Speed

When you burn a DVD, you’re given the option of burn speed (2X, 4X, 8X etc). The slower the burn, the more reliable the disk will be. In fact, some DVD players won’t even play disks burned at speeds greater than 4X.

DVD Format

DVDs aren’t universal; what plays in the US won’t play everywhere else in the world. There’s a chance your DVD is formatted for European viewing or coded for some other global region.

North American DVD players are designed for NTSC disks formatted for region 1 or 0.

Bad Burn

Sometimes you just get a bad burn. Could be the disk, could be your computer, could be a speck of dust. Learn how to avoid DVD burning errors.

• Dave Rimmer

These things just happen it’s called a bad burn, look at the burn side can you see what looks like a skip or missed part. You may have had it on a different burn speed, always check the burn speed before you burn, make sure you burn on the lowest speed you can ie x2, x4 or x6, some DVDs will only let you burn on x6 as it’s lowest speed, I usually use Verbatim -R with no bad burns but they are great but a bit expensive and they let you burn at x4, however I sometimes use Ritek -R and the lowest burn speed is x6 so I sometimes get a few bad burns from these even though I do everything the same way. So the moral of the story is Always use good named DVDs -R and Burn on lowest burn speed.

• Saurabh Banwaskar

Using NERO Burn The DVD Again With Option “Burn A Multi-session Disk ”
    Your Problem Will Resolve.

• uday kanna

check out the format….