Why do I see duplicates when I add new files or folders in Windows Explorer?

Hitesh Nair March 3, 2012

Whenever I add a new file or folder in Windows Explorer, a translucent, like little transparent kinda copy of that come near it. I think it’s some virus. How can I stop it? Is there a a way to stop it without installing new software?

1. Moses

You see duplicates or triplicates when you include more than one locations. For instance, you get 2 listings when you include "shortcut." You get 3 listings when you include "public" folder. On top of the listing you can see "Includes: n locations." Clik and open it, remove the unnecessary locations.

Hello, is it possible for you to upload a screen capture of what you see?  You can use the +Image at bottom of comment box to upload picture.

3. Adrian Wisnu Putra

maybe it's virus.. just scan with your antivirus, but i recommend to use smadav antivirus.. it's light-weight, has a lot tools..

4. Arun Singh

it may be due to Recycler virus it create duplicate of files so try any antivirus avast free antivirus,avira presonal,comodo antivirus.

perhaps you have show hidden folders On
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Show-hidden-files

go to control panel>folder options>view. Under General Tab turn off "show all folders".

under view click reset folders.

concerning virus.
    Try Clamwin, malwarebytes antimalware, superantispyware.
    Boot in safe mode and scan there.