Duplicate Photo Organiser

October 2, 2013

I have years of photographs spread out over multiple computers and external harddrives. I want to consolidate these into one place and remove any duplicate photos I may have. I have started, and stopped/failed, many times due to life getting in the way.

What I am looking for is, if possible, a suggestion of software which may be suitable for the task of to getting all my pictures into one folder and remove the duplicates. Renaming of pictures is a bonus but not essential.

Any other suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks!

you have some options freeware and sharewaren have look which one you like. You should be careful sometime wrong file can be deleted.

VisiPics
    http://www.visipics.info/index.php?title=Main_Page
    VisiPics uses the ImageMagick libraries to load pictures

Visual Similarity Duplicate Image Finder
    http://www.mindgems.com/products/VS-Duplicate-Image-Finder/VSDIF-About.htm

Duplicate Photo Cleaner
    http://www.duplicatephotocleaner.com/

5 Ways To Find Duplicate Image Files On Windows PC
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-ways-to-find-duplicate-image-files-on-your-computer-windows/

AllDup
    http://www.alldup.info/delete_duplicate_files/duplicate_search.htm
    You can rename duplicate files with prefix and postfix. Move all duplicate files to a folder of your choice.

• Dec M

Cheers Hovsep A. AllDup seems like an interesting choice from a quick look at the links you provided. Thanks for the response.

any success in your photo duplicate removing?

• Dec M

Thanks Susendeep D. I have a mental block for Picassa, I guess I just never spend enough time using it to get familiar with the features.

I feel your pain... There are several approaches to it, and lots of possible software solutions, so I'll just make a few recommendations, and will be curious to see what other solutions people recommend.

Once you've moved all the photos into one place (you can leave them in separate folders, certainly at this stage), run a deduplicator. I use a program called Auslogics Duplicate File Finder for the purpose. There are many other deduplication packages, some of which are specifically for photos which may be better as they are able to identify photos as being the same even if they are of different resolutions, formats etc. Anyway, using the deduplication software, scan the disc/folder where your photos are, and let it find the duplicates. This can take a very long time (I recently set it up to run on a client's PC where it took about 3 hours!). The end result will be a list of all the duplicate files, and you will need to choose which copy of each picture you want to keep, so set aside some time!

You could now have a small number of folders containing all your photos, or keep the existing structure, more or less. If you go for the latter, you may find Free File Sync to be of use. It allows you to compare two folders, and to make them identical by copying the newer/missing files from each folder to the other. The program can run in several "modes", and you may find the "update mode" preferable to the default "two way". Make sure how the program works before actually sync'ing, as it is easy to make a bad situation worse by taking the wrong action..

Once you have done this, you can use a program like Picasa to "manage" your photos. What it will do is it will scan the folder containing all the photos (including all sub folders, and you can also get it to scan multiple drives, although that can easily get out of hand, as you already know). It will show each folder on the hard disc as a folder, but it will also allow you to attach a label to it, to tag individual photos with descriptions etc. Finally, it will pick out everything it can from the photos themselves, such as date picture was taken, make and model of camera, and even location if the photos contain this (location info is usually included with smart phones). It will also look for faces in the photos, will present them to you and allow you to name them. Picasa learns very quickly to recognise faces, so it will help you identify most of the faces in your albums very quickly (I used it a little while back to help me with some family tree research!). By the way, iPhoto has very similar functionality, but is for the Mac only. There are also other photo organisation packages, such as Thumbs Plus, and ACDSee, but they cost money and, unless you really dislike Picasa, I'm not sure there's any advantage in using them.

Now, you're all set. Any new photos just need to be included somewhere in your photo library (Picasa doesn't care much about the location, as long as it's somewhere in that folder) and you can edit and catalogue them with ease. Good luck!

nice approach if the person move all files to one folder windows will prompt to replace based on file name this can be first approach the second step will be visual similarity software.

• Dec M

Thanks Oran J, you have given me a lot of food for thought on this one. I think I may need to get friendly with Picassa as everyone seems to recommend it.