How can I dual boot Windows Vista 64-bit and Windows XP?

Issam Natour May 5, 2011

Can anyone recommend how to dual-boot Windows Vista 64-bit and Windows XP Home/Pro on a desktop PC?

I have plenty of HD space to create an xp partition. However, Vista was already pre-installed on the PC when i bought it and I only have vista recovery discs that Vista prompted me to burn when I first ran the Vista OS.

Thanks in advance for your help.

You can try the method described here: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/8790/dual-boot-your-pre-installed-windows-7-computer-with-xp/

I have not done this, so I don't know how accurate the information is and if it will work in all cases. The only major hurdle you may have is the issue of SATA drivers. Your system probably uses SATA hard drives and any version of XP prior to SP3 does not have native SATA support and you will need the SATA drivers for the chipset in your system to install during the initial text portion of the installation process for XP. Or you can download SP3 from the Microsoft website, slipstream it, and create another bootable CD to run the installation from (the method I used so all of my future XP reinstalls will already have SP3 since I do reinstalls of all of my Microsoft operating systems at least one a year, normally twice).