Why does my dual boot Dell Mini 10V shut down when running Linux?

Velocity April 21, 2012

I have Windows XP and Linux installed on my Dell Mini 10V. For some reason the Dell shuts down on Linux distros. Actually this is my desktop. I have reinstalled Linux distros and they all shut down every time there seems to be a lot of CPU usage or graphics maybe.

I ran Dell hardware diagnostics twice and everything is normal. Besides, it never does it with Windows XP. I’m guessing corrupted drivers, but I’ve tried it with drivers from Windows and reinstalled drivers and operating system Windows XP and Linux and new drivers from Dell directly and it’s still doing it. I have got to have my Linux.

Oh by the way, it does it too with live versions from USB.

1. Susendeep Dutta

Does this happens even when you use these distros in Virtual Box or Vmware player?You many try installing it in Virtual Box and can find out whether it works or not.

• Naoman Saeed

I recommend that

Are you using the same USB drive for Live Linux and installing Linux? Maybe the USB drive has some defect that causes either running live/installing to be defective.

Have you tried utilizing the CPU under Windows too? 
    Download and run Prime95 for some time too see whether CPU utilization or heat causes the shutdown.Personally, I never had any problems running Linux on my Mini 10v including Ubuntu, Parted Magic, Chrome OS and MeeGo.

The mini10v is the standard Inspiron 1011 configuration except the Dell Wireless 1510 (802.11n) card.

perhaps rolling back linux kernel can solve your problem?