Why is the DropboxAltStarter app on my Mac not responding?

Jeff MvAllister February 20, 2011

I have a question regarding the article How To Run Multiple Dropbox Accounts Simultaneously How To Run Multiple Dropbox Accounts Simultaneously [Mac] How To Run Multiple Dropbox Accounts Simultaneously [Mac] Read More .

I’m running the DropboxAltStarter program using the Applescript posted by Josh (in the comments). The two questions I have are:

1. Is there a way to hide the program, so it doesn’t show in the dock?

2. The app is constantly in a state of not responding. This prevents me from quickly sleeping, restarting, or shutting down the CPU. Is there some code I’m missing? I’ve run Verify and Repair Disk Permissions to no avail.

Cheers,
Jeff

Jeff,

were you able to fix the DropboxAltStarter app following Mike's advice? Please let us know. Thank you!

I would try to force kill the Dropbox services and then look into your Users ~/Library/Logs folder for Crash Log or Diagnostic Report.

1. open the Activity Monitor in /Applications/Utilities
    2. kill the process called Dropbox and the one called dbfseventsd
    3. look into /Users/yourname/Library/Logs for logfiles from Dropbox

I agree that sometimes the logfile isn't any help in troubleshooting so don't waste too much time trying to figure it out. The real issue could also be hidden in the system.log which is like a jungle if you don't know what to look for.

Maybe the easiest method is to remove and reinstall Dropbox including it's settings (hidden folder). To delete the settings issue this command in Terminal:
    rm -R ~/.dropbox