With Dropbox, can I sync selected files to only selected machines rather than all?

Susan May 8, 2010

I love Dropbox, and have used it for a long time to sync among 3 machines, 2 of my own and 1 at work. But there’s one thing I can’t figure out how to do. Is there a way to specify some files that only sync between my 2 home machines? I don’t want them added to the work machine?

1. Squishiee

u can make a seperate folder in dropbox and then u can make it so that it shares to all your other computers

Yes, sure you can. The trick is to create different Dropbox account for the work machine, then do folder share between the two accounts (home account for your 2 home computers and office account for your office computer).

Then all the files that you put in the shared folder will be synced on all the 3 machines and all the files outside the shared folder will only available in your 2 home computers.

• Susan

Perfect! Works like a charm. Thanks!

Your very welcome!

3. Steve Campbell

Susan,

That's a great question. I'm not positive, but I believe you can just log on to the dropbox site and play around with the settings there. I don't know if you can achieve what you're looking for, but you might be able to at least sync certain files online, which you could then access from your web browser. Not sure if they'll show up in your actual folder or not, but it's worth investigating!