Which is the best driver update software for Windows 7?

Niks June 5, 2011

1. Jonathan Cheng

I'd go with RadarSync's PC Updater. it's one of the few that's actually been on the market for a long time (i.e. comes from a real technology company and isn't just an affiliate / seo farm), and their new 2012 version kicks ass.

2. Shootemonsight

I would like to know which is the best for gaming and Is it really important to install before my graphics card or wait untill I get a new one?

• vikas

good

3. Leeward442

driver genius10 by far is the best i have used and seems to get updates quicker than any other 

4. Lukejackson98

hey it wont let me update my drivers so wich drivers softwhers are free?

5. Maxx_ex

Driver reviver is the best.

6. John

Jeffery is our new SupaGeek hero!!!!

7. drivers, download drivers

Brilliant and well deserved! Enjoy the moment and the prize!

Im with Jeffery.   I think slimdrivers is the best!

If AVG detected it as a win32 trojan, it's most likely a false positive (meaning it posses no actual threat). Scan it online with virustotal http://virustotal.com/

I assure you it's not malware, you may even see MajorGeeks recommendation to SlimDrivers: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=234013

I doubt very highly MajorGeeks would want you to receive malware. Overall, AVG is an insufficient and often times incompetent anti-virus application.

SlimDrivers is the only tool I use to update my drivers, other than Windows Update.

Well, he was just asking for options....For me personally, I do not use any of them.  My systems are always updated specially for vulnerable applications/software like flash and java.  It is good that you strongly disagree with the options mentioned before yours...but it does not mean that because you use it or somebody recommends it, it is the best.  Besides, there are so many tastes out there that what is good for you, might not be the best for somebody else.

• John

Thanks for all the info Jeff!

I think the best option is not to use any of the above. 

There is only one driver which you should update once in a while [for compatibility and performance improvements] and that is the Graphics Card Driver. 
    The current NVIDIA ForceWare includes it's own update utility so you don't have to manually check for updates. I'm not sure about AMD ATI but it's just a single homepage you have to visit.

Any other driver should only be updated if you are facing problems, malfunctions or features which are added later on. If there is some important update for compatibility it will usually be offered via Windows Update.

Just found the Intel mentality I wanted to include with my initial post:

Do I need to upgrade to the latest version?
      Upgrade to the latest version if you are experiencing an issue listed under Issues Resolved in the latest release notes.

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/inf/sb/cs-009278.htm

That is how I see it too.

• Jeffery Fabish

@20377a17b993e5557b5228afb7241c94:disqus That's actually not true. Your Ethernet controller, network cards, audio/video cards, usb (hubs, busses, etc), peripheral devices (keyboard, mouse, webcam, etc), motherboards, displays and SO MANY MORE all of which are routinely updated by their manufacturer. You will only recieve these updates if you manually get them, applications such as SlimDrivers will gather the drivers you have and their versions, and compare them to what you should have.

That is why you should check for driver updates every six months or so. I think you should try the applications before you "disapprove" of them. You have the option to manually go out to the web and search for each driver individually, which is frivolous and time consuming when there is software to do it for you.

You don't ONLY update when there is an issue. Often times after the manufacturer releases the hardware (with the standard driver version) then later update it for performance or to add functionality, which are issues that you wouldn't have known about if you were only updating for problems. 

And besides, Windows does a fine job of informing you of Graphics Driver updates anyway.

I don't disapprove of them, I just don't see the need for them.

For example - looking at the screenshot none of the tools mentioned gives you actual information about release notes, what the driver update actually addresses, improves or adds.

For most of them I also don't see a link to the actual driver homepage. This means in order to find those information you have to manually get there via Google or so anyway.

And again, updating doesn't necessarily mean improvements. 
      I myself have downgraded my NIC drivers (Realtek PCIe Gbit adapter) on several occasions because the new driver either bugged for Windows 7 64bit or introduced performance degradation.
      Even for GPU drivers there was a time where various NVIDIA users were forced to downgrade because the new driver introduced artifacts in various games or performance issues for some well known games.

Since I mentioned Intel here is another thing about their chipset driver:
      The Intel INF Update Utility targets a wide range of mainboard chipsets. While the Utility is regularly updated (version number increase which triggers new driver alert)  the update only address the latest platforms. 
      While there have been at least 7 releases of the INF Utility since I got my motherboard the current [and latest] driver available is dated 28.10.2009. 

• Adam

Drivers are also updated for security reasons. They are simple targets for hackers.

I strongly disagree with all of the above. The best driver update utility in my opinion is SlimDrivers. You can get SlimDrivers at http://download.cnet.com/SlimDrivers-Free/3000-18513_4-75279940.html

It's 100% free, easy to use and allows you to create backups fast and effectively. You can watch a tutorial on how to use it at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo6S3-2hXxY

A side note to driver update utilities: Be very careful as the malware industry is packed with rogue driver utilities. Be sure to do dilligent research on the product you're going to download beforehand. Make sure you scan the setup/executable file before you open it as well, I would use virus total. http://virustotal.com/

• Niks

My AVG Internet Security 2011 detected that SlimDrivers as a virus/win32 something .. Any Other Utility ?

12. Niks

woww !!!! Driver Easy shows 27 outdated drivers :(((

13. Niks

Hows Driver Checker .. those free apps showed only 5 outdated drivers .. Driver Checker said i have 16 .. Uniblue Driver Checker says i have 21 ..  And all software show different " new " version numbers of the drivers :( .. which one should i choose ??

Driver easy there is also the free version
    http://www.drivereasy.com/