Why is there no B drive?

Sonny January 30, 2011

I was wondering why you never see a logical drive identified as drive B.

1. Sonny Bass

Thanks for the answers. I have my backup drive assigned as B

A -> drive for flopy drive of 1.44MB
    B -> drive for flopy drive of 1.22MB (which is not use now a days)
    C - Z -> for logical partition of HDD (Hard disk drive)

If you can get hold of an original IBM PC (compatible ) with 640 K of RAM , CGA Display 4.77 Mhz 8088 CPU & Two FDD' so you will get drive A & B on the system. or just one physical floppy drive (A:) with one emulated (B:) so you could copy from disk to disk by exchanging disks every few hundred KB. Support for A & B drives is basically hardwired into computers.

The B: drive, for people who didn't have two physical floppy drives, acted as a logical floppy drive. You could do something like COPY A:FILE.TXT B: and DOS would read the file into RAM and then ask you to change the disk.

The advent of HDD's made multiple Floppies redundant

XP and Vista possible 7 allow you to make a drive B:. (Start --> Control Panel --> Administrative Tools --> Computer Management --> Storage --> Disk Management --> Right click on a share --> Change drive letters & paths)

Hello, nowadays you'll hardly ever see a B drive unless you have a really old computer with two floppy drives. A few years back computers did not have hard drives only floppy drives...that is way they came with two floppy drives. B drive is/was always reserved for a second floppy drive if available.

It is/was not necessary to have two floppy drives, one could be a physical drive (A) and the second one could be emulated (B). I think if you had zip drives installed they would use letter B. Hope that helps.

By default letters A and B are reserved for removable floppy drives. It's the same principle as C being your first drive. Those reservations date back at least to DOS (1981).

There are ways to work around this but for legacy software compatibility I never really looked into it. I think since Windows Vista/7 you are able to assign both letters without any further steps needed.