What are the downsides of installing Android L on my Nexus 5?

Shreyansh J August 8, 2014

As today Android L developer version is available but frankly I am not a developer kind of guy. I am just enthusiastic to try android l. So what I want to know is if I flash Android L on my Nexus 5, would all my exiting apps work? Also, would it cause any troubles like voiding warranty or some future OTA updates?

Warning: This is a preview version of the Android system image, and is subject to change. Your use of this system image is governed by the Android SDK Preview License Agreement. The Android preview system image is not a stable release, and may contain errors and defects that can result in damage to your computer systems, devices, and data. The preview Android system image is not subject to the same testing as the factory OS and can cause your phone and installed services and applications to stop working.
    https://developer.android.com/preview/setup-sdk.html

That's an interesting question! The answer is yes, there will definitely be problems. Apps need to be updated to remain compatible with new operating systems (sometimes just to continue working, and certainly to take advantage of new features), so yes, some apps may break. One major change in Android 5 is the use of the new UI language ("Material Design" which means that at the very least, your apps won't be able to take advantage of the new interface. That is perhaps the major reason Google are releasing the preview to developers...

Secondly, Software goes through development stages which include Alpha (early preview with major known bugs), Beta (pre-release, with the expectation that there will be bugs in it) and the ".0" (e.g 5.0) which is when it is released to the public with no known bugs (at least no serious ones). Even with the .0 version is released, there are usually bugs, but they will be discovered by some unfortunate user(s) rather than by risk-taking Beta testers, which is why one is always advised to wait for the "point something" version before deploying new software. Android 5.0 is expected to be released late in the year, which means the L version is not even in late Beta, and will certainly have bugs.

Finally, with regard to further updates, I imagine it would complicate the update procedure, but it wouldn't be impossible (otherwise, how will the developers be able to upgrade their test platforms?).

• Shreyansh J

Thank You so much Oron for your detailed and helpful answer!! Decided won't update till " point something" comes. Thank you again otherwise I would have ended up in deep troubles.

• Chinmay S

Android L might be called Android 4.5 instead of 5.0

Visit this page to know more.