Why do my downloads stop at 118MB saying they can’t write to my hard disk?

Sthepvan Senevirathne May 4, 2012

I wanted to download a 465MB RAR part file (completed it will be 1.29GB) from letitbit.net and once that failed, I tried to download the same file from uploaded.to and even bitshare.com but all the time, the download gets interrupted at about 110Mb to 190Mb and this happens even in JDownloader.

In JDownloader, it says that there isn’t permission to write to my hard disk and then when it tries to resume the download says “Aborted”.

I am in holiday in Sri Lanka and I am using a local mobile broadband connection from Etisalat Sri Lanka at etisalat.lk. Is there something I can do about this or should I call the ISP who’s most probably blocking my downloads although, I have to note that, this happened with other ISPs as well.

1. Charles Dickens

I'm having the same issue with Jdownloader trying to download parts of an entire 5 Gb item.

I'm in the same situation of Sthepvan. I have enough space and no issues with other downloads.

It looks like some permission issue. Could you please confirm than jdownlader use the administrator right permissions to write on disk? And if is not, How can I change this to be able to take advantage of this program?

Best regards,
    Charles

• Oron

Charles, have you tried downloading _without_ JDownloader, or with another downloader? It's worth trying, since it could be a problem with it, and the only way we'll know is by trying!

• Pain

Oron,

the reason why people use Jdownloader is because you can save multiple links and let it download automatically without having to open individual links. I saved all my Oron links and let it download since Oron doesn't have a downloading manager.

JDownloader should be using the permissions of the user currently logged in. As long as that user has permissions to write to the directory that was chosen in JDownloader, there should be no issue.

You also need to remember that there are several error messages displayed by JDownloader that have nothing to do with the actual problem, such as 'Plugin out of date' and 'JDownloader doesn't have permission to write to...' In some cases, you will get the second error message when an external drive that was selected as the destination is not currently attached. You can get the first error message if the host server is experiencing issues.

You should try to do an update of JDownloader (last button on the toolbar), install any available updates, restart JDownloader (should happen automatically if updates were installed), and retry the download.

If these don't work, I would agree with Oron about trying another method. The best would be just attempting this single download directly with your web browser. It may be an issue of the server resetting the connection because of the amount of traffic on the server and your transfer speed dropping too low. If that is the case, the only thing you can do is try to download the file when the server load is low.

• Sthepvan

Thanks for your support again. I just have paid and gotten the file I was downloading from the mail already so I don't have to download it anymore. Thanks again for your support.

To me it sounds like some process is taking exclusive access to the file you are trying to download ~ such behavior can often be seen by Anti Virus programs which run in a "guard" mode scanning all files currently processed.

It may help deactivating any Anti Virus software although I can't recommend it especially when downloading from file hosting services.

• Sthepvan

I know what I am doing so, I don't use an anti-virus program nor a firewall. No offence but, anti-virus programs or other processors taking up RAM and Hard drive space isn't the problem I am having.

It scan be server problem. if your download is somehow disrupted, and you have been disconnected, but on the file server side (MU, RS, etc), they still detect your IP status as downloading. As a result they deny you to reconnect or resume download.

if you reduced the download speed from the GUI, st ir back to set max connections to 1-2 and max downloads to 2-3?

see if turning off firewall will help.

update your java

Do you have enough space on the hard drive to store the downloaded file? It is entirely possible that you will require nearly three times the size of the file being downloaded depending on the amount of RAM is in the sytem and how much caching the system is doing while the file is being downloaded. If you are low on space, you may want to consider running CCleaner before attempting the download again.

• Sthepvan

Yes, I do have more than 100GB left in my hard drive however, I only have 2GB of RAM but, it's enough to download a 465MB file, isn't it?

it isn't an ISP blocking your download. If that was the case, the download would never start; the request itself would be blocked.

The reason I suggested the space issue is because of your description of what JDownloader does. That is the most common cause of the error saying that it doesn't have permission to write to the disk.

• Sthepvan

I cleaned the hard drive and stopped unnecessary programs but the problem still persists. I also have to say, I can download torrent files much larger (in the 100GB range) than this file I am trying to download without a hit of a problem at over 340KBps at most times.

I understand your point that my ISP isn't blocking my download but man, I need a more concrete answer.

In my laymans' opinion, I think its the sites that I am downloading from that is doing the bad thing and stopping the download. What do you think about that?

Thanks in advanced for helping me.

The free, throttled downloads from those sites (esp bitshare) during their high traffic times can slow so much that JDownloader will give up on them or the server may reset the connection for non-responsiveness if the connection is running slow and you end up with several consecutive lost packets since your machine did not receive them & return and ACK. The only way to know for sure is to run Wireshark (or another packet capture program) and analyze the traffic to see if server-side resets are happening to those connections.