Why do websites load slowly when I open a link?

Roy Mcmillan February 21, 2012

When I download from a link, the pictures and/or video take much longer to appear than the text. I suspect I need to tweak my computer, but don’t know what to do. When going directly to my home page, I don’t notice the delays, only when going to a link. Any ideas?

1. RelationshipRoadmaps

There's lots of more knowledgeable technical advice below, in the earlier comments, But!   You can choose what browser to use, and when.  You may wish to hang on to your Internet Explorer 9 as your default browser for e-mail purposes, etc.  I'm running Mozilla Firefox as my default browser, but when I install it, I check off the default browser box, when it comes up, but if you don't check it off, you can still run Firefox from an icon on your desktop, or taskbar, or start menu, and still run I.E.9, when you need to.  I've heard Google Chrome is fast and secure, and may be better for organizing with different folders etc.  I try to avoid start pages, and set up my Firefox Bookmarks to the sign-in pages.  Do them all first, before they get lost in bookmark clutter.  This avoids, MSN, Sympatico, Yahoo, etc and if necessary, I'll start a new fresh tab+a Bookmark to get where I want to go faster.  

This is normal behavior.  The first file to be downloaded from any site will be the basic HTML, even if it is generated by the server, followed by any CSS and script files defined in the header.  These are all text files which tend to be relatively small and transfer quickly, especially if the server and browser support compression of these files.  Images and video all all larger files and take longer to transfer and will not be requested from the server until the browser has at least begun the processing of the HTML markup it initially received.  Sites that you go to frequently including your home page tend to remain in the browser's cache, so all it does is check with the server to find out if there is a newer version of the file.  If there is a newer version, it will download the latest file.  If it hasn't changed, it will just use the file from the cache to render the page faster.  Some sites are dynamic and include markup in the header of the HTML file that indicates to your browser that its content is not to be cached, so it will always need to be retrieved from the server, normally on a per session basis.  All of this is constant even if you have a high-speed internet connection.  Because of the speed of some connections, it may appear that it is not behaving in the same manner (cached sites and non-cached sites seem to all load at pretty much the same rate), but it is illusive.  And if you use software to delete your browser caches (CCleaner and others) you will be forcing your browser to re-download all of its previously cached files for your frequently visited and latest visited sites, so unless you know the cache is causing a problem, you should not mess with it.

Just what I was going to say. 

Roy, you just have a slow internet connection. Go to http://speedtest.net and report back what it tells you. 

3. Chandan Jha

The solutions below may help you sort out the problem you are facing-

1. It maybe because of your Slow internet connection. You haven't given any information about your Internet connection speed and hence I am raising this question. You said your homepage loads faster. When you set a page as homepage, most of the file which loads with the page are saved on your computer and hence the page opens quickly the next time you open your browser.

2. Instead of tweaking your system, you have a choice to shift to a different browser. According to the tests performed, Chrome and Mozilla Firefox10 are a lot faster browsers than Internet Explorer9 that you are using presently. Its better you give these browsers a try.

Information- Now a days browsers use this algorithm, in which the text loads earlier than the multimedia content so that at least the user gets a page before himself instead of waiting for the multimedia content to load first. Multimedia content are much larger in size than text. Loading a text file uses space just in bytes where as Multimedia content always remain in KB's or MB's... You can observe the difference...

4. Karkala Nayak

Hello Roy,

I think that the problem of slow loading webpage is because maybe your internet connection is slow. Check your Internet speed here.And also upgrade to broadband or Fiber optic services if you are using a dial up connection.. 

Also I don't Trust much on Internet Explorer 9 because they always load the whole page first, then display the website.Hence they are slow. Therefore I recommend, You to use Google chrome which displays the website as it loads and it Doesn't wait for the website to load first and then display..Also it has built in flash. so no worries
    So Go for Google chrome..Download it here on this link below
    http://www.google.co.in/chrome 

Also you said that internet explorer loads the homepage fast...That is because The homepage is stored in the cache and hence most of the sites parts are loaded from your computer and displayed so it is faster while loading..
    Also when going to new links you will get delayed coz it may be your first time and also even if it is your second time that you have been to that website then maybe the last time you had not fully loaded the website and hence this time, the webpage loads from the beginning and tends to be slow..

I hope it helped::
    :)

Hello, when you say "when I download from a link", what do you mean?  Are you referring to when you click a link to visit a site?  If that is what you mean, it can also be caused by the site itself, it doe not necessarily have to be from your end.  At same time, It does not hurt to keep your browser clean and updated.  Can you give an example of a link? 

Visit the next link and run a scan. Make sure to update any software installed in your computer that shows newer versions:

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online/

try to reinstall adobe flash player and shockwave player.

also try to clean windows and internet explorer temp files
    CCleaner
    http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

slimcleaner
    http://slimcleaner.com/

in your antimalware security settings try to make a rule to not scan photos.