Why can’t I download or update any apps on my Samsung Galaxy S?

Jake Ibardaloza July 17, 2012

Previously I could download/update apps on my Samsung Galaxy S without any problems. Suddenly I can’t download or update anything. The Google Play store sticks on “downloading” in the status area, and my phone’s notifications will just disappear after 100%.

Before it would auto-install after 100% downloaded, but not any more. What is wrong? What can I do to fix it?

1. gbadamosi sikiru

Pls what can i du my s4 is teling me not enove storag and i ave 31 GB in it trying to downlod from play stor

2. w.j.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S and I had uploaded games from Facebook and since the new year I have not been able to play the games that I uploaded the message states that my phone is not comparable and the games are no longer there how can I get the games from goggle play. Please help

3. wonda johnson

I was able to download game Happy fro the market now I can't now I get a message stating that my phone is not compatble to download any Happy from the market nor from goggle games play please help.

Not all apps are compatible with a device.So do require specific hardware to work with.

If you try to get a browser like Firefox or chrome,you might not see it as incompatible.

4. Une

So, I bought a galaxy s2 from my boyfriend and it works pretty good, but every time I try to download apps from google play they say it's going to download, but it never does. Any helpful tips on why or how I can get this to work?

5. Joseph Connor

Apparently this blog does not read html what-so-ever and it turned my useful info into CRAP!!!

You only saw an unformatted preview of your comment. Your comment actually went to the moderation queue and wasn't published until later. The comment forms do read HTML and the formatting should be OK now.

6. Joseph Connor

Starting with your computer FIRST...

First - Connect your phone to your computer, laptop or Mac & copy all your files from your phone to either your - computer - laptop - Mac (you can also copy your phone data to your External SD Card which should be in your phone) - (if your computer does not 'recognize' your phone, 'meaning windows wont show your phone/device - you need to download the Samsung Galaxy USB - KIES & DRIVERS. This address is only needed if you CANNOT CURRENTLY connect your phone to your other device, computer, or laptop. Sorry no Mac's for this download==> http://samsung-kies.en.softonic.com/

This will be an up-to-date version so your "Icons" will change - February/2013

Next - Go to this address... <a href="http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/SW/201101/20110124222256530/Kies_Mini_For_Vibrant_11011_4.exe&quot;

if that does not work try to copy this address and paste into a new window==> http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/SW/201101/20110124222256530/Kies_Mini_For_Vibrant_11011_4.exe

Once the download is complete you need to open/access the file you have just downloaded. You can do this by clicking on the Windows Icon at the bottom left of your screen/Mac users Icon position may differ. Go to "Samsung Kies mini" -
    (if you are computer illiterate then click on the 'Windows' button and type "Samsung Kies mini" in the "search" bar)

Open the downloaded/EXE file and install. At some point you will be asked if you want to upgrade, answer "yes" of course and continue with install.

The system may or may not ask you to reboot your computer at any given time and I suggest you do reboot.

Otherwise, the phone and computer will do everything else. Just be patient and you will have a brand new, awesomely and great working phone when you are finished.

Hope you enjoyed and hope I was able to help (I'm sure I did)

7. ann wax

I'm trying to download the android app for AVG to my Samsung phone. It tells me that it's already installed but it's not in the list of apps shown in Settings/Applications. When I install it again it says "this app will be downloaded to your device shortly" but it never arrives. I've cleared the Googleplay cache and data store as suggested but it doesn't help. Can anyone help please?

8. destinyjenise

I Have forgotten My password for gmail and I can't download Google play because I can't remember my password what do i do in order to get apps on my samsung galaxy s.

9. NAIM

The simple way would be removing you SD card and then going to Settings -->Privacy -->Factory reset.

10. bobbles

Cant download or sign in to samsung apps keep getting same message service not available (2000)

It might be temporary glitch on Samsung's side.Try it after sometime.

11. Tabasum Haidary

Why i cant download in my galaxy ||| also play store has stopped working please help what should i do?

• renos

i cant download nothing....i changed my pin card from cosmote to wind ..and now to cosmote..and i cant download nothing at my samsung s1 plz help!

Check whether there's internet connectivity or not.There might be the case that there's missing internet settings for your phone.

Try clearing cache and data if Google play store app by going to Settings --> Applications --> Google play store.

12. Blessing Ikpaseh

my phone can don't download things on my galaxy s 3

13. Val Straw

Many thanks Kannon Y - I cleared the cache as Google suggested and I can download stuff in seconds. Wish I'd asked before - I've been struggling with this for months!

• alex

mine doesn't work i've tried all of your suggestions but it doesn't work.
      my phone still doesn't download or update anything

Then try to check whether other apps are hogging your internet bandwidth or not as sometimes a software update check could take all of your internet bandwidth.

14. Navaf

I con t download any application

Check you internet settings and try Kanon's explanation mentioned above.

15. firah

how to renew my whatsapp for samsung galaxy s plus?.because my whatsapp on 25/11/2012 was expired.because i want to purchases this whatsapp by mobile phone credits.please tell me how:(:(:(

This is off topic question.Kindly post a new question so as to get quick and better responses under the link below -

16. twang

I clicked clear data and clear cache in the manage application settings and tried downloading again. stil facing the same problm. somebody plz help me?

Update Google Play to latest version.

17. Nichelle Moore

My samsung downloads the apps till it's @ 100% and then says error file invalid.

Try updating Google play store to latest version.

18. princes tenorio

how to download tagged apps for my samsung galaxy s5300?

19. Lucian

Buna. Am un Samsung Galaxy Ace Gt-S5830 versiune android 2.3.5 . De cateva zile nuai pot descarca nimic din Google Play. Am sters cache, am dezinstalat updeit dar degeaba ca tot numi descarca nimic. Am incercat sa descarc o aplicatie mai veche care a mers in trecut dar aceeasi faza. Vreo sugestie? Multumesc.

20. minat khan

dear sir i have samsung galaxy s2 it was ok befour i was download every thing also youtube videos i was downloading on tubemate. now this tubemate is not working any more then i was delete tubemate from my mobile and i want to instal againg but now it's not intaling again in my mobile, when i tray to download from mobile market it's whowing itom not find. befour i was download the same tubemate from mobile market in my samsung galaxy s2. please dear help me on this and reply me as soon as posible i will be thanks full and appreciated to you

21. kwakulondon

when ever i try to down load a free samsung app, it keeps telling me update my samsung account. I have downloaded to update my accounts yet is keeps popping up. why?

22. d.v.s.raju

Solution: I faced the same problem and figured it out... In my case i went to Settings -> Applications -> Manage applications -> All -> Google play Store -> Uninstall updates...!! hope this helps you as well...!!

• D.A

thank u so much! its work for my samsung!

• dana nuar

thank u raju! its work on my samsung...

• aparajita

Does uninstalling Google play updates, removes the downloaded or installed apps from Google play store and clears their data from the phone?
      I dont want to lose my data stored in some of my apps like "Whatsapp", "Messenger" , "Temple Run" etc.

• Francesca

thanks, this worked for me, I was struggling since months. even though saying "delete updates" finally completely removed "google play" (message was "you will be able to use the standard version...) but still I can use the download program native in the phone so it's fine!
      Thanks again

23. Shane symonds

I have purchased a Samsung Galaxy S II on contract today but I cannot download any apps on the phone. Is there anything i can do to ensure I can download apps the error code is(-101) thanks

24. Steven Taylor

Have you upgraded to the latest available OS (i.e. for my Galaxy S Captivate I am using the Gingerbread 2.3.5 version)?

Sorry your phone is acting up. The culprit may be related to an uncleared Google Play cache. It's a common issue but, fortunately, easily remedied. However, please keep in mind that there's a chance that your handset is afflicted by another issue, though, so wiping the cache isn't definitely going to fix the issue.

First, go to settings.
    Second, go to Applications.
    Third, go to (if I remember correctly) Google Play.
    Fourth, wipe cache.

After that, try reupdating your application.

Here's a direct link to Google's suggestions for fixing the issue. In my experience, the most effective method is wiping the Play Store cache, but some of their other methods might be useful in case a wipe doesn't work. Feel free to ask questions if you run into any difficulties and good luck!

• k2kirish

thanks a lot kannon y that worked great for me.

• shahaney

I go to the direct link suggestion it sed that I tap the clear data and clear cache in the google play store,, if I click the clear data my all apps will be deleted too?? or nit? Plz answer...

• Halmo

Thanks. Worked great on my Samsung Charge. However, the procedure was a little different:
      First, go to settings
      Second, go to Manage Applications
      Third, go to Google Play Store
      Fourth, click on Clear Data (the Clear Cache button was not active)

I did not loose any apps that I had already installed.

• Keith

Thanks for the advice. That worked on my Samsung Galaxy S II. I went to Tasks > Applications > Google play store. Then I just cleared the cache and voila!

• Jake Ibardaloza

thanks again guys. can u tell me how can i indicate that my question was resolved already?

• Kannon Yamada

After you log in, there should be a button that allows you to do this. It's labeled something like "mark as resolved". I think it's just under the question itself.

26. ferdinan Sitohang

Please make sure you have enough free space to download and install/update application.