Where can I download the standard Windows XP theme?

jacob cohen June 6, 2010

My computer somehow switched in to Windows classic view and there is no option in properties to return to the standard XP theme. Where can I download the file?

1. Edzhcarrascal

hi, hope you could help me. I installed this VIPv3 the vista theme for XP, but then when i uninstalled it, my desktop wont go back to its default theme, the wallpaper when logging on does not changed back to default, i am annoyed of having the small window that pop up when you click an open application in the taskbar. please help me get my desktop to its default theme... many thanks.

Hi Jacob

Did you manage to fix this? Please let us know if any of the above mentioned suggestions helped.

Aibek

3. Saikat Basu

Two more things you can check following the above ones:

Click Start - Run and type services.msc, which opens Windows XP Services Management Console. Check that Themes service is configured to run automatically and check status to verify that it has already started.

Also,

In services.msc, double click on Terminal Services located under the name column. Click on Log on tab. Ensure that service is enabled for default hardware profile.

If all fails, and the Theme is probably corrupted...then you can also restore the default themes with RestoreXPthemes

• Nklrjc

I had the same problem and starting the themes service helped me!

• Guest

Restarting the themes service worked for me too! Many thanks.

• Guest

If it doesn't allow you to switch back, there will be something wrong with your video card or there is a program that is running that your computer doesn't like. For example, when I use Fireworks 8 on my Vista computer, I loose all off Vista's special affects.

Hold down the Windows Key and press Pause/Break

On the System Properties box, select Advanced

Click the "Settings" button under Performance

Change the settings to your satisfaction.

I hope this helps.

Smokey**

Jacob,

you don't have to download the theme, it's still on your computer. You should be able to switch back to the standard XP theme.

Right-click onto your desktop and select properties from the menu. In the window that opens switch to the appearance tab. There are three drop-down menus in the bottom left. The first one is "Windows and buttons". Here select Windows XP style, then click OK to save your changes.

Please let us know whether it worked or whether you'll need more help.