Why is the download speed of my fast cable internet connection so slow?

Niks May 7, 2011

I have a 1mbps cable internet connection, but I get a download speed of 130 kbps & upload speed of 100 kbps . Why?

Assuming you mean a 1Mbit/s connection transfer speeds of 130KByte/s are very good (pretty much the max you can get with it).

Other then that you will have to state the proper units so we can make a real judgement.

Actually, that sounds about right. The quoted speed is not the same as the speed you will measure, as the units are different. On my 50MB connection, I get a real speed of about 5mb/sec at best, which is normal. To be honest, your 1MB connection *is* very slow, but there's no error in the speed - that's exactly how fast it should be.

To be honest, if someone sold you that connection claiming it is broadband, I would be tempted to slap them - unless you're living in some ridiculously remote rural error, I would consider another provider.

• Saptashwa

You shouldn't slap the poor guy. I've an unlimited (broadband) connection that gives 200Kbps+ speeds (I must mention that it's NOT bits, but bytes). Comes to about 1MB per 5 seconds. My friends are like,"Wow! Such a fast speed! Can't even dream of it."

Sigh! But this is the speeds in India (the one I'm using is the best broadband ISP available). And, wait for it, the speeds are heavily capped. Once got a REAL speed of 3.0Gbps (kept on decreasing, but took about 1 hour to go down to 200Kbps). Guess, they should just uncap it to let us enjoy the Gbps speeds.