Which download site is better: FileHippo or CNet Download?

Rajaa C May 20, 2014

Which is better between the two for search for freeware software download: FileHippo (www.filehippo.com) or CNET Download (www.download.com)?

1. Ben S

May I suggest Ninite? It's easy, simple, can install multiple programs at once, and never bundles in any crapware. For common programs, it's about as good as you can get.

However, for programs that aren't on Ninite, I usually install from the developer's website, or Filehippo if there's a problem with the main site. I almost never use CNET.

• Jules

I agree. Ninite is best for multiple installs, Filehippo for single installs or updates - I use their update checker which is simple and works well.

2. Dave P

I use both equally but you do have to be aware of the CNET installers and make sure you click the right links and tick the right boxes.

• Mike O

filehippo, not as many ads, plus all the previous versions of that software are right there. another good site is majorgeeks.com its good also. i have never got any bad software from filehippo or majorgeeks.com.

CNet has been terrible with their installers. I have had to download their installer to download the actual software installer so I can then install what I thought I downloaded in the first place. Then, many of the installers the keep in their repository have junkware, toolbars, etc. tacked on the installer. File Hippo is fine, but I prefer MajorGeeks.com above most others, especially since there are download links that are directly linked to the developer's site download. They also test each software before adding to their repository, and if any installer has extra junk attached, there would be a notification about such add-ons. Softpedia, SourceForge, OlderGeeks, TechSpot, BleepingComputer, etc. are also good sites for downloading software.

Yesterday I installed something from CNET download, and surprisingly, I got the direct exe download of the software. No CNET installer. I presume they have removed it after getting user flak.

• Dalsan M

It would be nice if that remains true for a long time, but for some users, it is too little, too late. It would take a lot for many of us that no longer downloads from CNet to trust downloading again from them. For me, I like having links for direct downloads from the developer as well as trusted mirrors as choices for downloading software.

I will sometimes use download.com to FIND software, but I will only download it from the developer's site, SourceForge, GitHub, or related sites.

Filehippo, without a doubt. As Hovsep says, CNET (a.k.a. download.com) has its own installers which include adware or worse.

• Oron J

That's good to know, and I Bruce's point is interesting. I'll experiment with logging on and comparing the links! I like CNET, just not the malware that comes with their installers...

• Oron J

I've just experimented a little with the site and indeed, it seems some software is available for download with a "Direct Download Link" just under the green download button, while other software isn't.
      I guess I'll continue avoiding Download.com for the time being, but it will remain an option when there are no other download options available.

i think CNET Download come with installer that has some offers inside and you have to be careful

perhaps not all comes with installer
      http://telecharger.cnet.com/Ashampoo-Burning-Studio/3000-2646_4-10041527.html

if they request that their download link go directly to their installer without any added bundled content then you will not get CNET installer.
      http://telecharger.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html

• Bruce E

If you are logged in with a CBS Interactive account there may be a direct download link below their "Installer Enabled" download button. It isn't there for all software, but it is for most. If you don't have a CBSI account or you are not logged in, the direct download link won't be there.