How can I download a radio show and stop Real or VLC Player from streaming it instead?

Brian August 14, 2010

I live in Germany but am originally from the Saint Paul, Minneapolis area. That being the case I am a big fan of the KQRS Morning Show which I always download and listen to here at work. Streaming this show from the website is also an option.

My problem is when I have programs installed on my PC like Real Player or VLC Player or other such programs, when I hit the download button the program begins to stream. I’ve tried to disable this function in the programs, but am unable. Does this make enough sense to anybody to help me out?

1. Brian

Thanks Jack for your Concern and quick response I feel a bit stupid. I deleted VLC player and reinstalled it and made sure I chose the option only for video playback, which I thought I did the first time but who knows! I dont even know if that makes a difference. But when trying to download the show now it works. Maybe the option "Playback With" was checked instead of "Save File" In any case it's working now. Thanks again.

• Jack Cola

No worries, I am glade you have your issue sorted now.

You sure it's not downloading to a temp folder and just playing it? Are you positive that it's streaming and it's not being broadcast live?

What is the file extension on the file you are downloading when you hit "Download"