Can I download music without downloading or updating software?
Question by jennifer /

I want free music without having to download or update software on my computer.

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , ; or ask your own question.

• Daniela Loone

There are quite a few nice music sites, like, and which present you directly the download link for the mp3 or midi music files you have been searching for. No need for software downloading.

• Josh Fox

It actually depends on what type of music you are looking for. Most generally, music that you will find for free is from independent artists rather than big name bands and labels. Some places to get this is from Jamendo ( ) or ( ). If you are looking for bigger names, you’ll most likely need to use additional software, like iTunes. They offer some free music every week from various artists. Another way is to use Amazon for DRM-free music, but you’ll need the Amazon downloader. You can find their free offerings here:

Another great way to get free music is by watching for it on MakeUseOf. Just do a search for “Sound Sunday” to find free music downloads. They’ve also had several posts about places to get free music safe and legal.

If you like Nine Inch Nails, Trent Reznor keeps a lot of free music downloads available on their website ( ), including entire albums. Nine Inch Nails is the most popular case of commercial music being distributed freely. Some other bands followed their lead and started offering their albums freely on their websites, but I don’t pay close enough attention to the industry to be able to list many examples.

Generally downloading free music is legal, and you could get jail time for it.

They are sites that let you download free music, but they are always spiked with malware.

If you do not want to update your software, just don’t. Software developers are always releasing updates because they find bugs, glitches, or maybe miss-spellings. I do not advise just staying with a version of any software. Software versions could have inherit vulnerabilities that leave your computer open to the internet and it bad side.

Also, I would also advise that you do not download music if the computer you are using has important personal data. Alot of software that lets you download music also shares out your hard drive. If your taxes, etc. are on the computer, they well could be stolen.