How do I download an .MP4 file that constantly fails?

Katmarcoux June 17, 2014

I am trying to download a large Mp4 (which I paid for). The download fails on Firefox and the resume function does not resume, it starts over and fails again.

The download indicates ‘interrupted’ in Internet Explorer and the same thing happens with its resume function. I have temporarily disabled my malware software, turned off my firewall, shut down all other non essential processes, updated Internet Explorer and Firefox.

No luck. Running Windows 8 on a laptop and have been at this ALLLLLLLL day.

The file is a download of a DVD which I purchased directly from the site who created it.

1. Katmarcoux

haha ok someone want to tell me how to choose best answer and close question as solved? heh heh

• Ben S

Yes, sign in to the account used to ask the question, and by each answer you'll see a number of votes, along with a thumbs up/down symbol. Click the check mark in a bubble above the thumbs up to mark an answer as the best.

Glad we c uld get this sorted out for you!

If you are connected via WiFi try using a wired connection for the download.

• Katmarcoux

I have done this and tried ubuntu (Linux OS) and another computer, have updated and reset all the browsers I tried. Getting pretty bummed. Waiting to hear back from the company. I have sent the email as described above so now ...crossing my fingers.

3. Chinmay S

I am also unable to download anything most of the files in Firefox. I also get the same thing. So, I would suggest you to download a 30 day trial of Internet Download Manager and then use it to download your file. This time the file will be downloaded without any problem.

4. Rajaa C

Try with Free Download Manager from http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/ . I am a very satisfied user of it and is using Windows 8.

5. Ben S

Hmm. This is odd.

Can you try installing another browser (Chrome, Opera, Maxthon) and see if downloading the file from that browser fixes it? I doubt it will, but let's go step-by-step here and try to get this working for you.

• Katmarcoux

I have tried 3 browsers -Chrome, explorer, Firefox. I have tried another computer and another OS (Ubuntu) ...no luck. ...yet

• Ben S

Based on everything I've seen you say here, it's a good idea that you contacted the company. Wait to hear from them, because you're having more problems than you should be having. It's likely that it's an issue on their end.

• Katmarcoux

Yes, now will they contact me back? Initially they contacted me; when I sent an email explaining the files were not downloading. They came back to me to say that the problem was on their end and resolved. It still didn't work so I have, as described above, asked them to enable download resuming on their server but they haven't gotten back to me. I have just now sent a second email requesting the regular (hard copies) of the DVD's be sent instead if the problem is not resolved today (wonder if they'll charge me the surplus? ...probably as well as shipping...).

• Ben S

I see you've gotten the issue fixed; so glad about that! See, it wasn't your fault at all. When you have to try that many solutions, it likely isn't your fault.

try with download manager
    The Best Free File Download Managers for Windows
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/the-best-free-file-download-managers/

• Katmarcoux

I am going to try this. If it works I will post it. thx

• Katmarcoux

OK er...I can't figure out how to get my download manager to download the file. The file link is located on the website where I bought the file from, and when I click it it automatically begins to download within my browser. So how do I change that default?

• Bruce E

Check the Options for the download manager. Most have an option to hook into browser clicks to take over downloads. If it doesn't, just copy the link and paste it into the download manager.

• Bruce E

Even with a download manager, you may have issues trying to download this file, especially if it always fails at the same point. As far as the resume function within the browser downloader not working, that is most likely a result of the site itself not supporting resuming. It doesn't make sense, but many website operators just don't enable resuming on the few servers that don't have it on by default and there are others that will turn it off on the servers that do have it enabled by default.

• Katmarcoux

YEP! Download manager failed as well (two of them). arrgh...

• Katmarcoux

I can see in the download manager that download resuming is not enabled. I have emailed them to see if they can change this to enable download resuming. I suspect that will solve the problem -if they do.

I'll let you know in any case

• Bruce E

You should also ask them to check the file itself. There may be a problem with the file that is preventing you from getting a good download in the first place.

maybe you can try ubuntu live cd and download from there to see if you will be able to get the file

• Katmarcoux

Hovsep A, I tried Ubuntu and another computer and several browsers and download managers. I think it was due to their server not supporting download resume. I have just completed the downloads successful as the company has enabled download resume on their end and presto! All is well now. Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions !! Nice to see how many people are willing to pitch in and help solve someone else's problem :D

thanks for your feedback, glad that the problem was solved, enjoy your mp4 file, if you would like to close the thread as solved, just pick the best answer from your makeuseof account:)