How can I download a MakeUseOf PDF Guide?

Dick August 6, 2011

OK I’ve signed up and received my password. When I click to download my selection, I’m presented with a small version of the guide, overlayed on the main page.

So how do I get the PDF on my PC?
I don’t see any further things to do.

1. Fredshed1

Dick,
    I have been strugling with this same issue.  I will try. Thanks to all

2. Shay

I had the same problem too!

Thankyou to Dick and a huge Thanks to An2onio for your solution. I can let my hair grow back now

3. Sunlight

I had the same problem too!

Thank you Dick for putting your hand up and telling the teacher you didn't understand or know how.

Thanks too to An2onio, you may be new around here but it certainly sounds like you know a bit more than the average joe

all the best to everyone

4. Dick

You guys are awesome!
    Sorta' glad I stirred up this hornet's nest.

Thanks to all.

Dick

5. an2onio

And please pardon me for the mess I've created with my repeated comments in the thread. I'm new to this thing and I'm still learning my way around. I couldn't figure out how to delete some of my repetitive posts completely, which is why they appear more than once. Thank you all.

6. an2onio

Dear James, 
    It works. Remember, we're using Internet Explorer 8 (see 2nd post in this thread). When you try the right click method in Safari, Chrome or Firefox, the pdf will force download as you have observed. 
    However, in Internet Explorer, the guide will not force download, but instead open within the same tiny popup you used to enter the password, without giving you any option to download it. (I have tried posting a link to a screenshot here without success). 
    However, if you right click the "Download it Link" and open in a new tab, you will get the password popup and on submitting the password, the guide will open within Reader in the same new tab, with the option to save it just like any other pdf.

7. Antonio Byamukama Vezzini

Dear Dick,
    Instead of simply clicking on your guide selection to download it, Right Click it and select "open in new tab"
    The download popup will open in a new tab instead of the small overlay. Enter your makeuseof password, click submit and your guide will open in that same tab in your pdf reader. 
    If you're using Adobe Reader, mouse over the bottom center of the page until a grey toolbar appears and click the diskette icon on the far left of the grey toolbar, choose the location where you wish to save the guide and click save.
    I hope this helps. Good luck.

• Dick

Antonio,
      Thank you so very much for responding.
      Your directions were excellent and very easy to follow.
      Now I have the guides that I wanted to save.
      Thank you again,

Dick

• Antonio Byamukama Vezzini

Dear Dick,
        I'm very glad to have been of help. I hope you enjoy the awesome guides. All the best, Antonio

That doesn't work, sorry. The PDF guide downloads are forced to download and NOT display in the browser deliberately on our side. 

but he says it worked for him, strange. Internet Explorer?

• an2onio

Dear James, 
        However, in Internet Explorer, the guide will not force download, but instead open within the same tiny popup you used to enter the password, without giving you any option to download it - Check out the attached screenshot below to see what I mean.

I see. I'm afriad I dont have IE8 to replicate this an2onio, but thank you for the screenshot as it quite clearly shows there is indeed an issue. I'm glad you've figured out a work-around, but I agree we need to streamline the download process as what we have now isnt working well for many users. 

Dick, the small image you see is just from a popup. Within that popup you should see a download it now button, or if it's one of our older guides a box to enter the password also. Click that to actually download the guide to your computer - it won't open in your browser. As Fidelis says, you'll need a PDF reader such as Foxit or Adobe's own PDF reader

• Dick

I see no "Download.." button.

Hello, do you have a pdf reader installed on your computer?  If you don't, you can get the free version of foxit.

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/Secure_PDF_Reader/

Once you finish downloading the file, install it by running the executable file (.exe).  If you are using explorer 8, this should install the add-on for reading .pdf files.  When you read the small version of the file, click on the link provided to download.  if foxit is already install, it should open the file for you to read.  When the file is opened, just click on the file option of the menu and click save as and then choose where you want to save it.  You can change the name if you want, or leave it as is.  Once you save the file, you can open it any time you want.  Hope it helps

• Dick

I see no link to an executable file (.exe).

Dick,

what browser are you using?

• Dick

Internet Explorer 8