How can I download a list of questions from MakeUseOf Answers?

Ray Nelson July 16, 2011

Is there any way to download a more complete list of questions and links to answers, so I could browse them using a VB Search engine I have developed to get at information quicker?

This would be a good test for my technology and I would make it available to you at no cost for distribution, if indeed it works like expected.

1. Scott Wilson

Ray, as James suggests, you could use our product, screen-scraper, to extract all questions and answers.

I work for screen-scraper.com and I would encourage you to take a look at what we have. screen-scraper allows you to set up a routine to start at a given point, say, the "unresolved" tab above. You can then traverse the entire list of questions extracting the author, question body, tags, and each related answer.

screen-scraper only requests those pages containing data that you require. This lessens the impact on the server your scraping from.

Please don't hesitate to ask any questions you have on our support community.

2. Ray Nelson

Thank you for answering.  The RSS Feed as I understand it only goes forward.   There is quite a bit of information and really good solutions that I'd read just to (being a geek) enjoy reading if I could more quickly narrow the content. 

Search does not do it.   But I will try to build an engine to as you say (scrape) the content.  Google does it, so It can be done....

I'd understand you not wanting everyone doing that because it would cut their usage of your site and therefore any advertising funding...  I guess that makes my question a little naive, but there was only one job where I was told not to ask a question because I thought it would make me look naive, and I don't work there anymore....

Thanks again...

Thanks for the interest Ray, but I dont think we'll be able to provide you with this. If you're interested in a programming challenge though, you might want to try scraping the information you need from either the RSS feed as Tina mentioned or some other method. 

Ray,

I'm not sure what exactly you are looking for, but Answers has its own RSS feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/MakeuseofAnswers