Why can’t I download iOS5 on my iPhone?

Gavin December 2, 2011

I can’t download iOS5 to my iPhone. It says it is downloading, but does that for about 4 hours and then times out. Has anyone solved this problem?

1. Ginoviva

This is too bad. Of what use is it if we buy expensive apple products but we can't enjoy it the way we want. I am really disappointed. I am unable to update with my MacBook pro, iPad and my iphone.

2. Gavin

Hi I have been trying for about 3 months now, most frustrating. Apple should take some responsibility. 

3. Ana Tan1716

I'm having the same problem. no matter what i do it won't work.

• Don

yep same problem - tried all day yesterday - its a big download 790MB left it going all night lost the connection at 329MB - this is a real pain cos you need the latest verion to run certain app's - you would think Apple should'nt have theses sort of issues

well, is it "Apple" losing the. connection or is it you guys?

for example 24hour forced disconnect, computer power saving (standby, ...)

depending on your settings iTunes does not prevent imnactivity

4. To_srm

iOS 5 is not compatible with the original iPhone or iPhone 3G.  Your iPhone needs to be iPhone 3GS, 4 or 4S.

If you are currently running an iOS4 version you will have to download and upgrade to iOS5 using your computer and iTunes.

If you are currently running an iOS5 version and want to update to the latest release you can either do it [as usual] via iTunes or on your iPhone within "Settings > General > Software Update"

Hello, well aparently you are not the only one....

https://discussions.apple.com/message/16850118

Check the option given in the last post of thread.

Have you tried doing the update during off peak hours?  Maybe you could try doing it at night , instead of trying to do it during busy times.  Servers might be busy when you are trying. 

You could probably try the direct links found in the following page.  Maybe it works for you:

http://cydiahelp.com/ios-5-download-firmware-for-iphone-4-3gs-ipad-2-1-and-ipod-touch-direct-links/