Can I download Google Play on Android 4.0 by CRAIG?

Jtwitch Thompson October 28, 2012

I just got it and would like to know if I can get it somehow.

1. scott

Craig is the manufacturer of the Android tablet

2. Declan Lopez

if it didn't come with google play, you could download the play store .apk file and try sideloading onto the tablet

Jtwitch Thompson,

We have lot of similar low cost Android 4.0 ICS tablets in which the manufacturers do not give access to Google Play. My friend brought one such tablet from HCL (a Indian brand) known as the HCL ME U1 tablet. Yesterday we successfully installed and accessed the android marketplace on it without doing any rooting or custom ROM stuff or anything so the warranty on the device is intact. You can give it a shot. First search Google and download these APK files :

1. GoogleServicesFramework-signed
    2. OneTimeInitializer-signed
    3. SetupWizard-signed
    4. (For this last one you can try the latest Google Play Store APK file, though I haven't tried it myself, so not sure if it will work or not, the one suggested here is a old version, which has been tested and tried and works)

Once you have done that, go to your tablet setting and enable Unknown sources under security. Now tap and install the four APKs mentioned above in the exact sequence mentioned (this is very important and need to be followed). Once you have installed the four APKs, un-tick the Unknown Sources option under security in Settings and then reboot your tablet. The start-up process will take much more time now (in some cases upto 45 minutes) and once it is completed, a small window will come-up with the option of a launcher and setup wizard. First tick the below dialogue which says always use this as default and then select the launcher. Now you should find the android market icon in the app drawer or work-space. Enable your internet connection and tap it. First I will ask you for a Google Account. If you already have a GMail account, select existing or otherwise select new to create one. Once you have finished this step, you should logically have an access to the Google Play Store.

Kindly give a feedback of how did it go. This at-least worked for my friend's tablet and he is a very happy man now. :)

The link I referenced alongwith the download link of the APK files will be found here :

• brianna n

ok I just got my android craig tablet for chritmas '
        And I only have this slide me app downloader store '
        On it I can not download oovoo or skype or any things like that
        I have tried to download googe play store , I'm not good with all that , any ideas .??

• Digna

I also have a craig tablet. Just in case you haven't figure it out, besides slime me you also have an icon called Getjar to download apps

You can try to sideload apps that you wish to use from third party sites like, etc.

• Kannon Y

That's an excellent resource Rajaa, thank you very much for sharing!

One of the reasons everyone suggests rooting to get is because it contains all the APKs that you've kindly linked to (you know this already). In fact, I actually think this method is better than since packages mostly have phone-specific compatibility, whereas people with all kinds of different tablets are reporting success using the APK method.
      an exploit.

Another downside of rooting is that it exposes the phone to viruses that an otherwise unrooted phone would not have.

Good find!

• You Needn'tKnow

I followed all of the steps, but the Market app keeps stopping? The dialogue that pops up is:
      "Unfortunately, Market has stopped"

Try clearing cache and history by going to Settings --> Applications -->Google Play.

You can easily install Google Play on pretty much any device. I don't believe it requires root either. Simply push the APK out to your device either through Dropbox or USB.

Someone else suggesting flashing Gapps, however, this method requires a custom recovery. If you have a CM, you will most likely want to have root. A custom recovery (the most common is ClockWorkMod) allows you to enter a special mode that permits the installation of custom ROM or special system software (like Google's apps package).

If you have a custom recovery, there's a lot that you can do with a Craig tablet. There's a good deal of community support for rooting and flashing a custom ROM. Although doing so may void your warranty and carries a risk of either permanently or temporarily breaking your device. However, if you follow the instructions perfectly, that probability goes down substantially.

Kannon Y,

You are correct in suggesting "You can easily install Google Play on pretty much any device. I don’t believe it requires root either." I do not know, why people suggest to flash ROM or root the Android devices at the drop of the hat to do away with the device warranty or to run the risk of bricking the devices.

I have posted in detail, how to install Google Play on these kind of devices without rooting or flashing. Kindly see, if you agree with it or not. :)

5. Naveen Kumar

please brief about CRAIG then you can get help

Google Play is present in official android devices by default.

7. Harish Jonnalagadda

If this is the custom ROM, just flash it with ICS and it will work.

8. Alex Perkins

Download GAPPS for ICS and flash it via recovery.

Could you elaborate the CRAIG word? Is it Craigslist?

Have a look at the link below for more information about availability of Google play -

You can try sideloading it if it's not available -

10. Vipul Jain

Please give in some details as to what is CRAIG? In case this is a custom ROM, and Google Play is not available on it, search for GAPPS ICS and flash them via recovery.

• Muo TechGuy

CRAIG is one of those horrendous low cost Android tablets.

• Vipul Jain

oh. In that case, just run the Market and it will automatically update to Play Store.

• aaliyah

CRAIG is a type of android tablet

11. Boni Oloff

I don't really understand what you mean with CRAIG. I used to have an android, and i think Google Play is installed in all Android device.