Why does my ‘Download’ folder take a lot of time to open?
Question by Sahil /

My Default download folder C:\Users\Sahil\Downloads takes a lot of time to load. It is just 450 MB in size, but it still takes about 7-8 secs to open. EVERY other folder opens instantly.
Windows 7 x64
4 GB RAM

Browse other questions & answers in the category ; tagged ; or ask your own question.

• Alethron

I just wanted to thank Ankur for his solution, it solved my problem as well :D

• Nidhs

Thank you Ankur. You solved my problem!

• ankur

right click your download folder , go to customize , select document from the drop down… whooohoo done…

• Cliff

(face palm)  I’ve been struggling with this since forever.  If I went to the user icon on the desktop, then downloads, the files listed in alpha sort… even though date sort was selected.  It would take 4+ minutes to display the files (a looooong time when you are waiting).  HOWEVER, if I went to Explorer, C:, Users, Me, Downloads… it worked fine!  O_o  But of course, how often do you remember to do that!  Every time… AFTER you’ve already clicked Downloads the other way and go “ARGGGHHH!!”.  (sigh)  Went to properties, Customize, General Items (it was Pictures?!?!?), TADA.  Open, Close, Open, Close, Open, Close… I could do this forever… what a joy!

Thanks Ankur!!!

• Sahil Dave

hello guys, i delete many items from the folder but it is still opening slowly. it is now 170 mb in size.
    it is the default download folder in my windows that is C:usersahildownloads
    i download everything in this folder first then i segregate them according to their type..

Sahil,

did you try Safe Mode?

To exclude that a single file in your download folder is causing the issues, why don’t you move all files to another folder and reboot your computer.

Hello, are there some files inside your download folder compressed with .rar, .zip, etc? That could have something to do with it specially if you have your antivirus set to check for compressed files when open.

Another possibility is the sorting of files. How do you have the sorting set? Try to change to sort the files by name and see if it helps.
    — open downloads folder
    — on empty background
    — right click and select sort by
    — select name
    — check if it helps

Also, you can optimize the folders according to the files in it. To do so, follow the next steps:

— Go to the Downloads folder
    — Highlight and right click
    — select properties
    — select the customize tab
    — if for example, your download folder only has pictures
    — select customize for pictures
    — if you have mixed files on folder
    — select customize for general items
    — click on ok
    — open the downloads folder and see if it makes a difference

I agree that you should try to create a new download folder. Don’t forget to point your browser/s to the new folder. You could also try emptying your current folder.

Re-installing the browser is a drastic measurement. I also do not recommend to clean the registry; it has very little potential in fixing anything, so the risk is not worth it.

Boot your computer into Safe Mode (hit F8 key while booting) and try to access the download folder. Is it still slow? If no, there might be software accessing the folder when you normally boot your computer. What files are in your download folder?

If opening the folder is slow even in Safe Mode and if no other folders on the same partition are slow, then I’m puzzled.

Make a new one and see if stills takes time to open. Also uninstal the browser and reinstal again. Dont forget to clean hard drive and registry.