Why can I not download files on my Windows 7 work PC and play them on my Windows XP home PC?

Isabella Niaz August 6, 2012

I have Windows 7 at work and Windows XP at home. Whenever I download any file on my office PC, it won’t open or play on my Windows XP. If I download a movie in Windows 7, when I open it at home either the folder appears as empty or the movie runs for only about a few minutes. Why is that happening? I have tried it several times.

1. khaled

VMostly media files are affected which are in avi or flv or mp4, but sometimes exe files do not work too. I do have all the codecs installed on both the systems, the files open and work properly on windows 7 the problem starts when I open them in xp.

2. khaled

thNKS

3. venkatp16

mostly you have to check with the players you are using. Try to download & copy properly and use a universal player liks VLC

Hello, just a question. Do you download the files directly to a flashdrive? or to your work computer? Make sure to download the files to computer first and then copy them to flashdrive.

On a different note, you should check the downloading policy at your workplace. You might into trouble for using company resources for personal use. Just saying.....

5. Erlis Dhima

I think a virus is in your computer (where you download the files..)
    Go to tools > folder option > view > show hidden folders and files (and untick the three one below this..).. Click Ok.
    Look inside the folder... If the file appears, then you have a virus!

The other possibility might be that the place where you download your files has a virus on their servers or the ativirus blocks it, since might have been set to agressive protection... And this antivirus interrupts the files in some point of downloading...

These are the only options that comes in my mind!
    Hope any of this helps! :)

6. Jonas Nordgren

id check for updated codecs

7. profiesto

what download manager do you use? Just check on windows7 that the file you have downloaded is completely downloaded or not?

8. Anay Chaubal

Using a good antivirus software, verify whether your XP computer has a virus infection. Also you may use the windows command prompt and type in:
    x: where x is your usb drive letter, press enter,
    then type in
    dir/a/s/p
    to get a listing of all files in there. see if this command lists that file. if that is the case, then you definitely have a virus / worm infection. use sputnik70's usb utility to disable autorun on your usb drives to prevent further infection, available at:
    http://sputnik70.narod.ru >> click on the little ENG link to get an english version.

You may also run the following commands on the same command line as before to view your files after cleaning the usb drive and your computer of viruses
    attrib -s-h *.* /s

The virus will actually change all file attributes to hidden and system, and the above command will remove them. Be warned, that you will need administrator privileges to perform this action.

9. Lambvolution

1. scan your pc with antivirus
    2. install codec pack http://www.free-codecs.com/download/k_lite_codec_pack.htm
    3. install free opener http://www.freeopener.com/
    4. clean your system from error you can try advanced system care

10. Aditya Roy

Check your office pc for viruses

11. Suman Acharya

in my opinion you just make sure you download files correctly and completely - open it in downloaded machine - copy it properly and remove usb properly.

12. Suman Acharya

in my opinion you just make sure you download files correctly - open it in downloaded machine - then copy it properly - remove usb properly.

folder appears empty perhaps you didn't copied the file to USB key i guess correctly or you just made a link of the file to USB key so you cannot open it on windows xp;

If you cannot play it on windows xp, then it is codec issues so download klite mega codec or use VLOCplayer to play movies.
    http://www.free-codecs.com/download/k_lite_mega_codec_pack.htm
    http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

• Isabella Niaz

I use Gom player for playing the files and they work totally fine on 7, I do have the Klite codecs installed too.

What file types are affected? What kind of media are the files stored on for the transfer? What filesystem is being used on the media? Do you have the necessary codecs for viewing the video files? Do the files view properly on the Win7 machine in the first place?

• Isabella Niaz

Mostly media files are affected which are in avi or flv or mp4, but sometimes exe files do not work too. I do have all the codecs installed on both the systems, the files open and work properly on windows 7 the problem starts when I open them in xp.

• ferdinan Sitohang

Are you directly open it from your pen drive? if so, copy it first to your XP computer and then play it. If it an installer make sure you download for your XP version(mostly 32 bit), and check the compatibility.