How can I download a file when the tracker allows me only to seed?

Pranay June 25, 2011

I was downloading a huge 5GB file when I entered ratio watch. Now I am almost 80% done and it feels so bad to not be able to complete the download, since I am banned from leeching anymore. I even tried explaining that since this is my first download I have nothing to seed. Is there any way to complete this download?

1. Gustavo Ibarguengoytia

I really don't know a workaround this for a particular tracker. But I do find it hard to believe that that is the only tracker the file is hosted at. Try looking for another one that has the same file structure and just redownload from there or add that tracker from uTorrent and you should be covered.

• Pranay

How do I know if any other tracker too hosts this file? In the trackers tab in utorrent  only one tracker is shown. Can there be others too and if so how do I find out?

• Gustavo Ibarguengoytia

The only wat to know if any other tracker is "hosts" the file is the actually go look for the torrent somewhere else. Or use http://btreannouncer.net/ that can try to find another tracker that has the same torrent.

Good luck!

Bear in mind that sharing the torrent outside of that particular site through means of DHT or shared trackers may get you banned. Most private sites require you to disable DHT and use downgraded versions of uTorrent to prevent this happening. 

Pranay, what site is this for? I had a similar problem myself for a famous uk tv torrents site. There's a few things you can do:

1. Pay for VIP access. Quickest and easiest route. 

2. Read the forums, and the fAQ. I noticed there was a thread for users on ratio watch, and it advised posting in the "please help me" forum, where users with a good ratio will down the file you are seeding to deliberately up your ratio. 

3. Find if there are any competition threads, specifically for users in ratio watch. For instance, on this particular uk torrents site, the generous owners ran a lottery-linked upload lottery, where you could pick 4 lines of numbers, and you were pretty guaranteed at least a GB credit for free, and could be as lucky as 5GB or something - just something to get you out of ratio watch. 

4. Once youre out, look for free leech torrents and jump on them soon as they are released. Free leech means that whole downloading them doesnt count toward your ratio, uploading them DOES increase it positively, so its a fantastic way to keep your ratio high by providing a source for certain popular torrents. 

• Pranay

Thanks a lot, will try your suggestions.

well you can find another friend pc, then copy the files there and procedd with remaining 20%.

• Pranay

Do you mean downloading the rest from a different account? Even that is not possible because you need an invite to join this site itself and I do not have any privilege of sending invites.

Use a VPN, unless this tracker is private (and requires a login) they monitor ration's that are connected to an IP address. I suggest using HideMyAss VPN for that, and enable Secure IP Binding for your bit torrent application. 

• Pranay

This tracker is private and does require a login. Anything else which I could do? And please explain in simpler terms. I do not quiet understand the techies language. Thank you.

There are no torrent sites that track ratio without being private and requiring login, that would defeat the whole point of a ratio.

Pranay,

which torrent client are you using?

• Pranay

I use utorrent.