Why can I download my emails via WiFi, but not send them when I am away from home?
Question by John Hartford /

On holiday with my laptop, I can log onto a WiFi connection and get my emails, but it wont let me send or reply to them. Any suggestions?

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , , , ; or ask your own question.

• lorraine eyles

At work I can send out and receive all my e mails on my mac account. However when I bring my laptop home I can receive mails on my work account but not send out. I can both receive and send if using my own personal g mail account. I have a mac. Why is this and what do I need to do to let my work account send out mails when at home on my home orange account?

• Elky

You can also quick-fix by turning off wi-fi to instead use the cellular connection.

• echantrea

Try changing connecting server to POP3.

• danielooi

Try changing your SMTP port? Some ISP block port 25

• Dylan Brendan

Are using a program for email… Like Thunderbird?

• Perry Kahai

From your description of the issue, I assume you are using an e-mail client such as Outlook, Live Mail, or Thunderbird. This “client” software connects to an email “server” to send and receive e-mail, based on their “addresses” you provide. The receiving is done using a POP3 server or an IMAP server; the sending is done through an SMTP server. For example, GMail’s POP3 and SMTP servers are at pop.gmail.com and smtp.gmail.com, respectively. There are several connection parameters to set to be able to use these servers.

Short answer: your SMTP server settings need to be changed to those your e-mail provider requires – GMail, Yahoo, and the like. You likely have it set to your ISP’s SMTP server – Time Warner, Comcast, and the like.

Long Answer:

You can connect to a receiving server from almost ANY location as long as you have the correct username, password, and connection parameters, and then retrieve your e-mail. That explains why you are able to check your e-mail from a hotel or public Wi-Fi. There are security risks associated with this, but that is a completely different issue.

Things work a bit differently for a sending (SMTP) server. For it to work, you need the username, password, connection parameters, and something else. That “something else” depends on your location. At home, you are connected to your ISP’s network. To send mail through the ISP’s SMTP server, you need to be INSIDE of its network. The ISP will USUALLY not allow you to use its SMTP server if you are in a location that is outside of their network, or else anyone who knows their SMTP server address (available on their website) will be able to send e-mail pretending to be you! That might be dangerous!

So, what is the solution? Some ISPs (Time Warner excluded) will provide you authentication information and connection parameters that will allow you to send e-mail from a location external to their network. If not, and this is particularly applicable to a laptop or any mobile platform, you have to use an SMTP server of your e-mail provider (GMail, Yahoo, AOL, etc.). This will allow you to send e-mail from ANY location, including your HOME or WORK. GMail’s server, for example, is smtp.gmail.com. In addition, you have to use the username and password (referred to as SMTP authentication); AND port number (465 for SSL / 587 for TLS). This information can be obtained from the e-mail provider’s support website.

Hope this helps you resolve your issue.

• Dennis Robinson

Thanks Perry, been puzzling over that one for ages now all sorted and working!

• ferdinan Sitohang

If you use a web based email, i don’t think you have a problem, but if you use a desktop client mail, may be it because the smtp port is not open in your modem, please ask your ISP about the smtp state of your connection. Make sure your mail client smtp configuration is the correct one.

What email provider are you using? If it is your internet service provider you have most likely forgotten to setup SMTP authentication.

Some providers allow unauthenticated SMTP relay if the client is on their own network wherein they require SMTP auth for connections from the outside.

When you are at home, your device is obviously connected through the providers network and you can perfectly send emails.
    Now that you are on holiday you are on an foreign network and the SMTP server does not allow you to send emails without authentication.

Most likely all you have to do is go into your email account settings, enable SMTP authentication using the same username and password as for incoming emails.

If your email provider has a webmail interface, use that instead of a desktop client. The issue here is the local provider you are accessing via WiFi does not allow you to make any SMTP (port 25 for outgoing email) connections to any servers but their own in an attempt to prevent spammers from utilizing their network without going through their filters. By using a webmail interface, you are only using port 80 or 445 (HTTP or HTTPS) which will be allowed through unimpeded.

• Laga Mahesa

What email service are you using, and are you using a web interface or a desktop client (Outlook, Thunderbird, Postbox, et al)?

• John Hartford

My email (ISP) provider is Talk Talk through windows live mail.

• John Hartford

Thanks to you all for your help I will enable my SMTP to authentication and hopefully that should resolve my problem.