How do I download backup files made in Windows XP to my new Windows 7 computer?

Dave Abrahamson October 25, 2011

I have some backup files on CDs that I made with my old computer, which used Windows XP. I want to load them onto my new computer, which uses Windows 7. How can I do this?

Hello, what kind of software did you use to make the backups on cds?  What kind of files are they?  Can you explain a little bit more about the process you used for making the backup? 

If you wanted to transfer pictures, music, and stuff like that you could have use the file transfer utility included with windows.  If you did not use a backup software to make the backups, and the files are text, pictures, music, etc., you can insert the cd in the new computer's drive and copy/paste the contents to your computer.  Based on the answer you give to these questions, something else can be suggested. 

If you used a third party software for backing up, you could probably install the program used in your new computer and recover the backups that way.  Even though the backups made to cd, sometimes are bootable.  

You can do it by installing backup utility : http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=974674