Is there a download accelerator for Google Chrome?

Levent February 17, 2011

Does Chrome have a built-in download accelerator like Firefox?

1. Mona

Yep, here is a simple download manager extension:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/mcceagdollnkjlogmdckgjakjapmkdjf 

2. shle896

I've found with Chrome that the only increase in speed with a download accelerator is minimal and pretty much a waste of time. If you do have a decent connection (and most do), downloads are pretty fast!

Now if there was only a way to get rid of that pesky download bar on the bottom of the screen! Chrome needs to take a cue from Opera and have it disappear once the download is complete.

Why don't you just close the download bar? Simply hit the X on the far right. Sure, it's not automatic, but it's simple enough. :)

I wouldn't want the download bar to disappear automatically after the download finished; at least not until I have had a chance to open the file. And it actually does disappear after that! I find that practical.

• Phoenix Kiula

If you have ever used a download accelerator you'll realize how stupid your comment is. The download bar on Chrome is 1/8th the speed of an accelerator, on a good day. 

To original poster: basically the answer is NO. This is the single biggest thing keeping me from moving to Chrome full time. 

• Phoenix Kiula

No it isn't. I don't know what you have found, but DAs are a multiple times faster. For people living outside the USA. 

3. Andrew

My connection is not great and for some of the files I download, an assistant is useful. I use Flashget through the FF plugin and Google extension "Download Assistant" (from the app store) which integrate with Flashget.

4. el tio ska

I use Free Download Manager - http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/

It can be installed or downloaded as a portable application & has support for torrent files too. I've been using it for as long as I can remember. Once open, it puts a small box-like icon at the bottom corner of your screen and you simply drag download links to this box and FDM's "Add new download" window pops up.

Contrary to what Mike says up here, I do find that when downloading files with FDM, they do in fact download faster than when simply using either FF's or Chrome's native download manager. Dunno why, but that's what it seems like to me!

Anyways, hope my 2 cents helps.

I didn't mean to imply that they don't help in general.

They might speed things up in several situations for example when files are hosted on CDN and the direct link is available. In this situation they are able to use multiple mirrors and change to a faster one for the remaining parts of the download.

For me I mostly end up on authentication based Amazon S3, other CDN with temporary download links or full speed servers where my bandwidth already is at max. This is why I stopped using DAP years ago.

• el tio ska

Your explanation makes the situation much clearer to me. Cheers!

Chrome only got a normal Download Manager (the Download window, like FireFox).
    Maybe look into the Chrome Webstore. There are a lot of download related Extensions and Apps available.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/search/?q=download

But looking at todays web I don't think Download Accelerators are that useful anymore.
    First of all most servers already offer a great deal of bandwidth ~ enough to utilize yours.
    Then, most of the time you click a download link you are forwarded to some sort of download script. Unless this script forwards the direct link to the file the manager won't be able to open parallel connections to it.
    Also with all the session cookies and links chances are high that a download link isn't valid anymore once you opened it, therefor preventing the download accelerator from doing it's work.